Tuesday, May 20, 2008

What a Long Strange Trip It's Been

It has been a long season of American Idol full of characters, relentless ad placement and exceedingly long results shows. And even by Idol standards, this season has been strange. I guess the producers thought tonight should be no different. I didn't get the relevance of the boxing analogies they kept trying to throw into the show. Is this a new Fox acquisition? I half expected there to be another SYTYCD reference to make the night complete, but they will probably save that for tomorrow. Please, oh please, have Mario Lopez dance like he did with the cast of A Chorus Line on DWTS. I haven't laughed that hard in a long time.

Anyway, back to the finale performances. It was obvious based on the cheers and the judges reviews that Archuleta is the favorite to win. I hope this doesn't jinx him because I have wanted him to win for a long time. I just love how earnest he is about every single performance. Even though he looks a little like a leprechaun, especially when he stands next to Seacrest, he is pitch perfect and polished every time. Don't Let the Sun Go Down on Me was a predictable Clive Davis pick. If memory serves he also picked that song out for Aiken at this stage in the competition. David sang it well and I got excited when it sounded like a gospel choir was coming in for the chorus, but it was subdued and focused on him. Mark my words though, I predict a random gospel choir marching on stage tomorrow night for the results finale. I can't think of a finale that hasn't featured one. In This Moment was another predictable pick because it was a very "Archuleta song" -- lots of big notes and sounds like it could be done with Up With People. What was up with the giant anchor chain blazer he had on? Did that look weird to anyone else? Finally Imagine was even better than when he sang it the first time. I just love hearing him sing. He has a gift!! I have already voted for David 10 times. And the night is young.

David Cook also had a good night. At the beginning of the season I was not his biggest fan. I mostly hated his receding hairline comb-over swoopy bangs, but since he lost those and since my friend Holly convinced me that he is great, I have been cheering for him as well. Shelby and I joke that Carter has David Cook hair because it lays perfectly flat in the front and parts to one side and sticks straight up in the back. Clive Davis's pick for him, I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For I thought was a good choice and I think he sang it well. The second song Dream Big was chee-zay. I think he sang it well, but the song was lame. Were those really the two best songs? Lastly, The World I Know was an odd choice for me. Again, he did it well, but what a Debbie Downer song for the last song you could possibly sing on the show. And I didn't like the "vampire's night out" outfit they put him in. All he was missing was a cape. In the end, I think they both did very well tonight, and I would be happy if either won. But I would be a little happier if Archuleta won :)

p.s. Someone needs to tell Archuleta's Dad-ager to loose the Newsie cap. Someone must have told him it looked good once (mistakenly) and now he is riding that look 'til the wheels fall off. Looking in to my crystal ball, you won't be delivering papers...ever. Archie is sure to get a record contract. Give Britney her hat back.

2 comments:

M said...

I hope that David Archuleta wins too, but like you, I would be fine if David Cook won. AND, I think that Carter should wear his Newsie cap to celebrate an Archuleta win...to truly celebrate that we won't have to see his Dad wearing a Newsie cap on AI anymore.

Hannah said...

haha love the post. I like both Davids, but Archuleta is so cute that I think I'd like to see him with the win. Yeah, the boxing references got really old really fast. I can't wait to read your follow-up post about tonight's show!