Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Blah, Blah, Blah and Amazing Talent


Back by popular demand I am starting up my American Idol posts again for season 8. I have to say when they originally announced the top 36 I was very confused as to how they would whittle the crowd done in enough time. This new plan of keeping the top 3 of each night and then having a wild card night is ingenious. I really hope this makes this part of the competition less painful. The night was a mixed bag of amazing, mediocre and awful.

Jackie Tohn - ugh! I have not liked her since her original audition and tonight just solidified my feelings. Singing A Little Less Conversation in a raspy tone and looking like Sandy from Grease in the world's tightest black pants was not my idea to a good start for the night. It is obvious the judges love her, hopefully there will be like-minded people to me not voting for her tonight. Her personality grates on me and I really do not want to see her perform again. She also kept popping up throughout the night like Where's Waldo making sure to get camera time after everyone else's performance. Grade: C-

Ricky Braddy - Where have you been all my life? I do not remember him from the original auditions and only recall seeing him a few times during Hollywood week. Amazing vocals and he is someone that becomes more attractive as he sings. By the end of his song I wanted to set him up with my sister. His voice and control is so good he could easily transfer to B'Way in a big way. Love, love, love him! The night is looking up. Grade: A+

Alexis Grace - I have not enjoyed her thus far because I could tell the judges were favoring her and encouraging her to "dirty up". I also hate it when girls are told to change their image and they run for the nearest hair salon to get chunky pink streaks in their hair. Why is that the universal sign for "edgy"? That aside, she did perform very well tonight especially since she tackled the enormous sparkley gray bow-hat lady Aretha herself. If she does I hope she doesn't wear black lingerie for her next performance. Grade: A-

Brent Keith - Hicktown was boring, forgettable and mediocre. Grade: C-

Stevie Wright - The lower parts of Taylor Swift's You Belong to Me were awful. She does not have control of her lower range. Also the late eighties step touch dance moves were very strange to see on such a young girl. It was like watching Destiny's Child early home movies. It sounded like the band was overpowering her, and half way through the song it looked like she knew this was a bad idea. She is a cute girl so I feel bad for her, but it was a really bad performance. Grade: D

Anoop Desai - I was surprised when he announced he'd be singing Angel of Mine because the judges usually don't like when a female artist song is sung by a male, but he did a really good job. I think Simon is right he has a huge likeability factor and seeing how Slumdog Millionaire is sweeping the awards show it just may be his year too. His voice definitely has a good tone and I wouldn't mind seeing him again. Grade: B+

Casey Carlson - A weak interpretation of Every Little Thing (s)He Does is Magic. Again I felt like the band overpowered her. Her performance was awkward and hard to watch. It was like seeing the popular girl in school completely embarrass herself at the high school talent show. Seen in that light it was semi-enjoyable but painful none the less. Grade: D

Michael Sarver - Here is another example of someone I want to like, because he has a nice backstory but I just don't think he has the talent to back it up. Unsurprisingly, he chose to sing Gavin DeGraw's I Don't Wanna Be, the anthem of the modern "common man". It was okay but I had to laugh at the shirt with a fiery cross on the front AND back...and a leather pendant necklace. Oh yeah, somewhere Dawson Leary is cheering. Grade: B-

Anne Marie Boskovich - Her voice was definitely not big enough for that song and I feel like she is a pretty face but not a star. There is a possibility her skin-tight turquoise dress will get her through, but with Alexis singing Aretha so much better, that chance is slim. Grade: B-

Stephen Fowler - After his weak performance of MJ's Rock With You I thought again that this new elimination schedule is a VERY good idea. Stephen made the fourth underwhelming contestant and I was very glad the judges all agreed it was not good at all. Grade: D

Tatiana Del Toro - For anyone who has had the misfortune of watching this season of AI with me they know I usually yell at the screen any time Tatiana appears. She is just SO over the top and not talented enough to back it up. Tonight's performance wasn't awful and she wasn't as annoying as she usually is but I agree with Simon that she is just trying to be famous she doesn't care how. To me, that is not why someone should be the next American Idol. She also has the oddest fashion sense - fake eyelashes ready to fall off, electric pink lipstick and then a flowy, flowery dress. It was like an outfit you'd see on TLC's Toddlers and Tiaras. Now that I think of it, she reminds me of a giant, oversized child beauty pageant contestant. Perhaps that is why I don't like her. In any case, this review has gone on long enough. Grade: C

Danny Gokey - Here is someone that has a terrific, endearing backstory and has an amazing voice to back it up. Finally I remember that this is a singing competition and am glad Danny is included in it. His performance of Mariah Carey's Hero was strong, powerful, original and humble at the same time. I love him. Grade: A+

So at the end of the two hour show I am left with a few questions. Why wasn't Danny's BFF Jamal included in the top 36 but Stephen Fowler, and Brent Keith were? Who is the "real" Tatiana? Were the girls included this season due to their looks or talent? Will anyone tell Cara not to swallow the mic when she gives critique? For tomorrow's results show I think it should be Danny Gokey, Alexis Grace and Ricky Braddy. Hopefully Anoop will get put into the wildcard show.

What do you think?

11 comments:

Mike S. said...

That picture looks like Ben Jorgensen.

Andrea said...

Loved it...and btw...I auditioned and was called back and do I have stories!

Holly said...

amen amen and amen. why was jamal cut when last night's show turned out to be the hot mess of the century??

and i heart danny. boys singing mariah=love. i think you remember how i feel about david cook.

Julie said...

Oh my dear! I love how honest you can be!!! :)

Hannah said...

Garrett and I agree with you - we both said that those three should make it through. I couldn't believe how BAD some of those girls were. The judges were pretty harsh on them but they didn't say anything that wasn't true.

I think that if Tatiana doesn't make it through with votes, she'll be brought back as a wild card, just for the ratings. Garrett thinks she's the Sanjaya of Season 8.

M said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
M said...

I'm so glad you posted about this! I was wondering what you thought. Danny's performance was the best one by a mile. Ricky Braddy does have a great voice, I agree, but I thought he didn't have a good song choice last night. It was too "soft hits" for me. Although it did show off his range, I didn't think the song was engaging enough.

Tatiana is INSANE. Holy drama queen and extremist - she is either out-of-control or super demure. She's nuts! I actually wish I could watch with you, just so I could hear you screaming at the television set. I know a guy who said he can't watch AI while Tatiana is still on the show; his wife leans over and punches him every time she comes on screen because she hates Tatiana so much! This guy is tired of getting beat up by his wife. Ha!

e said...

I hope you'll forgive getting a comment from someone you don't know! I'm a friend of Monica's and came over to read your post that she had linked to on her post (did that make any sense?).

Anyway, I thought your critique was fantastic and DEAD ON. I about died laughing about the Dawson part, and yes, I have to admit it, I was so glad to see Casey choke. There's something about seeing the cute/skanky/popular girl mess up big time.

I'm wondering what your thoughts are on Anoop not making it through?

Shauna said...

Hey Emilee, I totally don't mind you reading my post and I am glad you liked it. I was disappointed that Anoop did not make it through but because Ryan made a comment that there were only 20,000 votes separating he and Michael I think he will be back for the Wild Card Show. I obviously also hope that Ricky Braddy will be included in that mix as well. He deserves to be part of the top 12.

Mike and Ariane said...

Great rundown. We really should get together to watch it!

e said...

I agree -- I hope (and I think it's likely) that Anoop will get a wild card, and Ricky too.

I'll be back next week to read your reviews! They're so interesting :)