Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Please Tell Me Next Week Will Be Better!

Watching tonight's show I find myself yawning, checking the clock, counting how many contestants we have left and wondering why they put all the mediocre singers into one group. I just can't believe that after such a strong start last week we have to sit through so many so-so performances. With two exceptions tonights show was a wash for me.

Jasmine Murray - I distinctly remember her being in the awful girls group with Bikini Girl during Hollywood Week and was looking forward to her performance. I was anxiously waiting for her to knock a Whitney song out of the park, but no, she sang Love Song a bouncy pop song I usually hear at Old Navy. She never really took off with the song although she did the sticky-footed walk really well. Cute girl, and not dressed like a skank. For that alone I raise my grade to B-. p.s. does anyone else think she looks like Angelina Jolie in Shark Tale??

Matt Giraud - I remember thinking he was a very good singer, but as the judges said, he picked the completely wrong song with Coldplay's Viva La Vida. When he originally announced he was singing that song I winced a little bit thinking that this would be awkward...and I was right. He may have picked that song because he knows it is on pretty high rotation on the listen-at-work stations and let's face it, those listeners are a big part of the AI demographic. So strategy-wise I kinda see where he was going, but the key is not to sing a British "rock"(insert pop) group's song like Justin Timberlake. It just doesn't work and I don't think JT himself would have tackled it. I think he is still pretty cool despite being a dueling piano player but overall tonight was a bust. Grade: C+

Jeanine Vailes - Wow, wow, wow. Wrong song (This Love), wrong performance (way oversang it), wrong outfit (Daisy Dukes, my mom's rayon blazer circa 1992 and open-toed booties) Trainwreck. Grade: F

Norman Gentle/Nick Mitchell - After three subpar performances, Norman/Nick's comic relief was a welcome change. And the kicker is he really can sing...or saaaang as Randy likes to say. Tonight was not his best vocal but in past performances he shows that he has a great voice. He is a guilty pleasure and like the 15th Tagalong cookie that you know you shouldn't have, I just can't say no to him. Grade: B-

Allison Iraheta - Being that she is 16 I was nervous when she said she would attempt Heart but whoa -- that was amazing! She is definitely edgy but it seems authentic, like this is her actual style not something she is trying to be for the show (ahem, Alexis Grace) I love, love, love her. Incredibly strong vocals and she completely deserves to go through to the top 12. Grade: A+

Kris Allen - Tackling MJ should not be taken lightly. Proceed with caution. Be able to do something amazing with it or don't bother. The fact that Kris covered his face with his spazzy mic hands was the least of his worries. He made the song sound even whiter than MJ himself. I am not sure what Paula and Simon were thinking in their critique. It wasn't awful, but not great. Grade: C-

Megan Joy Corkrey - I love Corinne Bailey Ray and I love Girl Put Your Records On. This was rough for me. The beginning of the song she was flailing her arms waiting for the music and by the end of the song it sounded like she was yelling. I also didn't like her sass back to Simon...or the sewed on rosettes on her bodice. Am I the only one resisting the early nineties fashion comeback? I had those huge hideous rosettes on my Daddy/Daughter Date Dress in the 6th grade. It is a look I don't want to see any time soon. Grade: C-

Matt Breitzke - Matt the Welder this Group 2's Michael Sarver. Normal "working" guy, family responsibilities, late nineties fashion choices. To be fair, I may judge him more harshly because I hate the song If You Could Only See. He just seemed to sing it like a karaoke performance. It just wasn't great for me. Grade: C-

Jesse Langseth - Her performance of Bette Davis Eyes was ok...boring...whatever. Compared to Allison she has no chance. I can't believe the judges (Paula) are using the words "captivating", "unique", and "memorable". Simon's critique was dead on. Grade: C.

Kai Kalama - He sang What Becomes of the Broken Hearted well, but to me it was nothing special. I guess I am still waiting to be blown away. It was just ok. Grade: C.

Mishavonna Henson - I am starting to think this night is a cruel joke. Most of the contestants are picking songs that I hate. Drops of Jupiter is one of those easy, meaningless, non-threatening songs that just doesn't do anything for me. Mishavonna also has the same problem most of Season 7 contestants had which is taking the song too seriously. She acts like she is reciting the preamble to the Contstitution when in reality she is singing a Train song. Cute girl, but not wowing me. Grade: C.

Adam Lambert - I loved his original audition and I think he has real singing chops. I Can't Get No Satisfaction didn't seem like a great song to choose melody-wise, but I was pleasantly surprised by his performance. He knows how to dress and how to work the camera. I also think because he has a theatre background that he will be able to sing a wide variety of songs because he clearly knows how to get into character. I agree with Randy that it was a little manic, but at least it was not boring. He worked the stage and made changes on the melody that livened up the show if only for the last five minutes. Finally someone seems to care about singing. Grade: A.

After watching the whole show now, I feel like Adam and Allison are the clear leaders for the guy and girl pic and if I HAVE to choose a third it would probably be Jasmine because I have heard her sing well in the past. I would not be sad if Norman/Nick went through just so I could laugh again.

What do you think?

6 comments:

Hannah said...

AMEN! Like I said before, I only caught the recap for the first hour, but I audibly gasped when I heard some of those performance clips. How is it possible to have so many bad people in the top 36?? And like you said, especially in one group.

And I LOVED the last song - it made sitting through that last hour actually worth it. And that girl Jesse who sang Bette Davis Eyes.. sorry, but one thing that really bugs me is that they play up the whole "single mom" thing. What, are we supposed to love her even more because she was stupid enough to have unprotected sex? Just my opinion. :)

Thanks for the recap!! I seriously look forward to it during the shows, and I am always saying to Garrett how much I wish we were watching with you. Can't wait until we can, in PA!

Mike and Ariane said...

Yes...I was a bit disappointed, too. I found myself doing other stuff while watching b/c the performances were not captivating! And I don't think I like how they are doing it this year, with the top guy and girl and runner up!

e said...

I know I'm going to look forward to your blog every week!

I was TOTALLY nodding in agreement reading your critique of Megan. I get VERY annoyed when contestants give the judges sass. I realize the contestants can have a differing opinion of their performance, but let's be honest, the judges are usually giving constructive criticism -- even Simon.

And I LOVED Allison. She's a bit odd, but she is 16 and that's just an odd age. She's got edge, talent, and she can rock it.

M said...

Yeah, Allison and Adam were my top favorites. And I agree about Megan too - I'm so surprised that the judges didn't critique her wild, flailing arms. It was so distracting that I couldn't pay attention to her voice!

Jeremy likes Adam, but Jer feels like Adam is SUCH a performer that it is hard for Jeremy to connect with him. I can see what he's saying. Adam is an actor by profession, and perhaps he is so used to working a stage that it is harder to reveal what he is like as an individual or how he is "feeling" the music that he sings. Does that make sense?

And I wouldn't mind if Jasmine or Norman Gentle came back, either!

Richard & Gretchen said...

Hey Shauna! It's Gretchen. You're blog is so fun. Looks like you guys are doing well. :) Carter is adorable! Talk to you later.

Sargent Family said...

ok, so dumb question...are you back in dover??

ps i don't watch ai, but i still love the updates:)