Thursday, July 17, 2008

Where have you been all this time?

So I haven't posted pictures in a while of Carter since we can't seem to find the battery charger for our camera. Our good friends, the Camerons, were kind enough to take some photos of Carter and our friends the Sargents and post them on their blog. So that will have to do for now. I need to become better at blogging. I am an avid blog stalker. Thanks to my SIL, Hannah, I now have Google Reader checking all my blogs for me and I am very excited when someone updates. Since admitting this to Ariane who gave me a hard time for not updating in so long I realize, I need to be blogging more. Hopefully Mike and I can find our charger to post some pics too (I always think posts are more interesting with photos).

At your request Ariane, here is the recipe for the brownies I made Sunday (courtesy of Martha):

1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, plus more for pan
8 ounces unsweetened chocolate
5 large eggs
3 1/2 cups sugar
2 teaspoons instant espresso powder, optional (I used coffee flavored Postum)
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
1 2/3 cups sifted all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts, toasted

1. Preheat the oven to 400, with rack in the center position.
2. Generously butter a 9 x 13 pan with butter.
3. In a double boiler or Pyrex bowl over a saucepan, melt the butter and chocolate together. Mix with a rubber spatula until smooth. Set aside.
4. In a bowl, beat the eggs and sugar and espresso powder (optional) together at a high speed.
5. Lower the speed and add in the melted chocolate mixture and vanilla, then slowly add in the sifted flour. Mix just until incorporated--do not overmix.
6. Fold in the chocolate chips and toasted walnuts.
7. Pour into the buttered 9 x 13 pan and bake until edges are dry, but the center still soft (about 30 minutes).

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, you have been kind of slow lately. And Emily, you're blog stalker, wants to see pics of your new house. Me too.

Hannah said...

Yeah Shauna, we still need pics!

I've actually never made homemade brownies before - I always use a box. I should try making these, they sound really good.

Mike and Ariane said...

Thanks for posting the recipe! Do you think it'll turn out drastically different if I don't use the postum or espresso? I don't have any postum and would feel like an old person buying it! Thanks! I'm salivating now.