Sunday, June 22, 2008

Great Performances?

For those who read my blog you may wonder why I even took the time to post this. It has been a while since I have updated the blog, and it has not been for lack of interesting things happening here at the camp. However, tonight I was trying to veg out and watch something that would help me get to sleep. I turned the TV on to PBS in hopes of Part II of the Harry Truman biography I was watching yesterday (yes I know I am a dork). Instead of a fascinating look at possibly our most reluctant president, I instead had the misfortune of seeing "Great Performances" South Pacific with Reba McEntire and Alec Baldwin. Apart from neither one of them being especially skilled at singing in musical theatre style, the cast is presenting the entire show on stage at Carnegie hall ON BOOK. How is this a great performance? Even high school students are capable of performing this material by memory. Let me be clear -- I usually LOVE the Great Performances series and other stage productions performed at Carnegie hall in an "In Concert" format. Some of my favorites include Les Miserables, Sweeney Todd, Putting it Together, and Candide. Candide is probably the best I have seen in this style for talent (Kristin Chenoweth, Patti Lupone) material (Bernstein!) and originality of staging. But I have never seen "actors" perform on book and have it be recorded for distribution. Presumably, the audience payed a hefty price for a performance at Carnegie hall only to arrive and see the entire cast unprepared for their arrival. I am still watching this in disbelief. Has anyone else seen this or others like it? Do you think it is ok and/or entertaining?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yikes! BTW, huge Kristin Chenoweth fan. Have you seen her on Pushing Daisies?

Sargent Family said...

that is pretty ridiculous. i wonder if it has anything to do with the remake of South Pacific they have on Broadway right now. PBS just thought that they should publicize for it and looked through their files and went "here, this should be good enough!" apparently it was not.

Andrea said...

Okay, I've never seen it, but I could totally see us watching it and "Mystery Science Theater 3000-ing" it. Just the picture made me cringe. Miss you!

Mike and Ariane said...

Sorry, I would've totally clicked passed that channel! But I do love Candide (movie or was it the book, can't recall - old age). Hope you are surviving Girls Camp!

Anonymous said...

Oh gosh, I totally agree. They are the last people I would pick to sing South pacific, let alone any Broadway performance!
Oh, by the way, my Mom said she had a great time with you and your Mom at camp! Be sure to come visit Somersworth sometime!