Tuesday, May 19, 2009

The Final Showdown

Adam Lambert - Mad World - Is this The Matrix the Musical? Simon seems to agree. In spite of the theatrics I just can't help lovin' that man of mine. He is so deliciously obtuse and over the top. I love how he doesn't have any reservations about wearing a full length black trench with an oversized collar and black sewn-on flower. Amazing vocal and I liked how he kept it as understated as he could. Grade: A+

Kris Allen - Ain't No Sunshine - I guess there must be something wrong with me (according to Kara)in that I am not moved with his performance. I agree that it was his best, but I just don't dig his whole vibe. I have to steal a line from one of my loyal readers, Emilee, and say he is too Talent Night at the Wilk for me. That being said, I will give him credit for a good performance. Grade: A

Adam Lambert - Change is Gonna Come - I thought this was a very odd song choice from the producers to have Adam sing a civil rights era R & B song but he did not disappoint as usual. Phenomenal vocals and complete control over his instrument and interpretation. I think because we hear his sing so well each week that we maybe think it is not as hard to sing like that...but it is. He has a way of doing something very difficult and making it look like the easiest and most comfortable thing in the world. Grade: A+

Kris Allen - What's Goin' On - I wanted to throw the remote at the TV during his performance. Between the grub stash, ripped jeans and sideways exaggerated mouth singing...ugh! Oh how social conscious!! In the real world the only people who would be listening to him are commuters waiting for their train to arrive....or coeds at an open mike night. I completely agree with Simon that it was too light and relaxed for this phase of the competition. Kara gave him props for being "true to himself" this whole competition, which I guess is true, but he doesn't really shake it up at all. I feel like no matter what song they give him he is going to either bring out the guitar and the bongo drums and sing every song in that fashion. What I think sets Adam apart is that he deliberately chooses and executes a vision and interpretation of that song that is unique and unforgettable. To me Kris is a singer missing a subway to sing in front of. Grade: C

Adam Lambert - No Boundaries - This is my least favorite tradition of the Idol experience...the "original" song that is written for the finale. Soft rock stations are already rejoicing at the upcoming addition to their playlists. He still proved he has amazing vocals and can do something relatively decent with a less than stellar song. I just feel sorry for him that his first "single" will be something that lame. Oh well, Kelly Clarkson has come a long way from A Moment Like This, Adam can too. Who can still wear acid washed jeans and look good? Grade: A

Kris Allen - No Boundaries - Of course as soon as I say he always performs with the bongo drums he comes out and, gasp! sings by himself in front of the mic. In reference to my earlier comment that Adams does something very difficult and makes it look easy, Kris does just the opposite. He sings ok and makes it look like he is running a marathon. Veins in his neck bulging and the one footed hopping. It is even more obvious to see who the clear leader is when they sing the same song back to back. What is with all the excuses from Randy and Kara with the comments about the key being too high? Vote on the season, not the performance? Ok, Adam still wins. Simon's comments were priceless--in essence--the first song was your best and it was all downhill from there. Grade: C

What a night! To be fair, comparing Kris and Adam is like comparing apples and oranges, prewashed cotton and velvet. What I love most about AI is that it draws such a wide group of people. The celebrities in the audience say it all--Katie Holmes, wait--Anthony Hopkins--what is going on? I nearly died when I saw him. Anyway, what did you all think of tonight's show?

8 comments:

Ken and Jen Perkes said...

Well, you know I have liked Kris MUCH more than you, Shauna. But I agree with your assessment of the night. In fact, I was pleasantly surprised at how generous you were towards Kris.

For me, best song of the night, by a long way: Adam singing Mad World. In fact, it may be my favorite performance of his many great performances throughout the season. Amazing vocals; amazing emotion. And, sorry SImon, I actually liked the trench coat and fog [just part of the pure Adam we have come to expect!]. Adam's vocals were so good in that first song: no one has even come close to singing on that level. Kris's first song, though well done, did not [again contrary to Simon] reach the bar Adam set.

Sadly, that was Kris's only good round. I thought his second song was weak and unoriginal. He needed something great and he didn't deliver.

Adam on the other hand tackled a whole new genre [strange song choice, indeed] and pulled it off with amazing talent. He sounded Black! It was as if he were channeling his Aretha Franklin. Looking back, I don't know why it should surprise me that he can do R&B so well. His rock definitely has that element. He seemed to really enjoy doing this song.

Third song . . . A TOTAL MESS of a song and even Adam could not give it great appeal [who could?]. I agree: a stupid way to end the season.

Prediction: Well, first of all, Adam SHOULD win. But I think there are a lot of Southern Baptists working their phones tonight--not to mention prepubescent girls all across American. I don't think it will be a lock for Adam by any means . . . but I predict that he will win.

One thing is for sure: it won't matter! He will make it big time either way.

Final note: Carry Underwood looked and sounded great. She has grown since HER finale night. A classic example of a great star launched on American Idol. I predict the same for Adam.

--Ken

e said...

"prewashed cotton and velvet"
Brilliant.
You should be writing reviews in Rolling Stone!

Of course, I agree with everything you said. You are absolutely right (and so are the judges) that Kris has been true to who he is. There's no denying that. At the same time, so has Adam. He's always original, always on pitch, always in tune. I can't recall a single performance that he struggled through.

I am not digging that horrible first single for the winner. I heard that Kara co-wrote it, which I hope is proof to the world that she doesn't contribute to the show at all. It'll be interesting to see which judges are back next year.

I do think Adam should win this competition. If anyone deserves it, it is him ... but, I also want Adam to be wildly successful and I feel like American Idol winners are either very successful or go down in flames. I'd like him to have the freedom to make a really great album as opposed to whatever Clive Davis insists upon. Yet, if Kris wins, it'll prove to me that the general population is incapable of deciphering talent.

What does everyone else think?? Who will win??

Ken and Jen Perkes said...

Emilee is right, Shauna, you are BRILLIANT at writing reviews. You could do this for a living! Your excellent writing and crisp opinions are what have attracted me to your site each week, looking forward to what you would have to say. Hope you haven't minded too much this old man crashing your blog. Thanks! It has been fun. Could you start writing reviews for movies, restaurants . . . anything!

--Ken

P.S. Sorry for my way too lengthy last comment!

M said...

"Mad World" and "Ain't No Sunshine" were my absolute favorite performances from last night.

And yeah, Kris did have some weak moments (although I preferred his interpretation of "No Boundaries" over Adam's, despite that the key was a little too high for Kris). I feel kind of bad for him, because the judges always talk about how Adam is so fabulous and deserves to be on that stage, but I feel like they say to Kris (with a condescending pat on the back), "Well, you've worked hard and improved a lot. You deserve to be here too."

I think Kris has done a good job this season, (I know you don't like him, but he doesn't bother me quite so much) but Adam definitely outshines Kris.

It will be interesting to watch tonight! Man, I'm kind of nervous! Jeremy and I both think that Kris does have a good chance of winning, mostly because all of the Danny Gokey fans will probably be more likely to vote for Kris than Adam - and remember how Adam and Kris were separated by only 1 million votes last week (out of 88 million)? Yikes! I can't wait for the results!

Oh, and I thought of you when I read the Seriously So Blessed postpost that describes Kris as "a hottie EFY councilor you wrote on his mish." Ha! That's one of the reasons that Kris bugs you, right? He's Mr. Provo-EFY-counselor-hottie. Ha ha!

And Shauna, your reviews this year have been awesome (like always). I hope you still keep on writing on your blog between American Idol seasons! I love reading what you have to say. You are so witty and clever.

e said...

Shauna and any other fans of Shauna's fine commentaries:

I wanted to first say what crap it is that Adam didn't win.

Next, I purchased off iTunes the studio versions of five of Adam's AI songs. I'm not sure if it's illegal to share the downloads, but since I paid a whopping $5 for them, I figure I can if I want to.

If any of you would like me to email you the tracks, pop over to my blog and leave me your email.

Ken and Jen Perkes said...

Emilee: I am bumming too! It is depressing to see the most talented idol get passed over. Even Kris knew he didn't deserve to be there. The only happy thought is that Kris probably needed the win more than Adam; and Adam probably needs the freedom more than the win. At least now Adam won't have to record the ridiculous idol anthem and he can do HIS thing.

And Emilee if you have Adam's Mad World, I would love it! kenperkes@comcast.net

On a positive note: great show tonight . . . right up to the announcement. Both Adam and Kris stood out among the other idols. But I have to admit that Danny sounded great too. The rest of them [with the exception of Allison] reminded us why we eliminated them.

And giving Kris his dues, I thought he really held his own with Keith Urban--an amazing performance!!!

KISS didn't do much to highlight Adam's talent . . . but at least I finally got to hear him do a Queen song! It will be interesting to see what he does with his many musical options!

Anyone else feel cheated tonight?

--Ken

Mike and Ariane said...

I'm still bummed Danny Gokey didn't win! It's Mike reincarnated...kind of like the Verizon guy!

lchaston said...

Ah, Shauna -- now that I've joined the blogging craze, I can have my Shauna-fix any time I get the shakes! You might even get me to watch Idol. Go figure! Keep those feet up as much as you can, and enjoy these last few days of having only one to pull into your lap . . .although you will have more lap, won't you? Miss you!