Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Three's Company

Danny Gokey - Dance Little Sister - I thought this was a surprising choice from Crazy only because Danny usually does better with a ballad. He did well considering it was a faster song and he seemed to perform with confidence which is great to see. As far as the dancing comments go, he knows he is a square but at least he puts it all out there. He seems to be genuinely glad he has made it this far and is along for the ride. I think he realizes that if he leverages this opportunity well enough he will be able to become a recording artist. In my opinion it would probably be best if he doesn't win so he can do his own thing without being put through the Idol Machine. Grade: A-

Kris Allen - Apologize - Ok, so first I own that crappy free phone they gave him and it is an awful excuse for technology. Just had to say that and get that out there. Secondly, I HATE the song choice! This is a song that is way overplayed on the listen-while-you-work stations. Why two people thought that was a good idea is beyond me. It also made him look even more college talent night for me. This is definitely something I would have heard in Provo. I am rolling my eyes now and would have rolled my eyes then. In any case it was sub par and I was not impressed. Grade: C

Adam Lambert - One - So when he first started singing it looked like he was singing from the some war torn country with all the fog and back lighting. As usual he did a fantastic, unique performance of a very familiar song. Unlike Kris, he knows how to make a song his own and his vocals are spot on. I will say he is the Mariah Carey (old school Music Box Mariah) of the competition you know that somewhere in the song he will go needlessly high, but when he does it that well (as does Mariah), why complain? Grade: A+

Danny Gokey - You Are So Beautiful - Understated elegance and beautiful delivery. I liked how he kept some of the song the same and then changed it up near the end. He has great control over his voice and sings with so much passion. It somewhat reminded me of I Believe I Can Fly but less annoying. Grade: A

p.s. did anyone else think it looked like he had a member of Blue Man Group playing guitar for him?

Kris Allen - Heartless - What is this...Kris singing songs I hate night? I am one of the few people, despite popular opinion, who think Kanye is an overly cocky non-genius. Hearing his song sung in a Jason Mraz style did not help me any. I seem to be alone on this as far as the judges are concerned as well. I know a lot of people love Kris but for me I would never pay to see him or listen to his CD. Something about him just comes off as amateur to me. Grade: C

Adam Lambert - Cryin' - I love how Adam starts off by telling Ryan that he hasn't made that many changes to the song and then turns it into a true Adam Lambert way-up-in-the-rafters production. I also love how after a performance like that how he goes right back to mellow. What more can I say...he is a true artist and I would LOVE to see him live. Grade: A+

For me I think they all did well but I think based on performances tonight, Kris would have to be the one to go. I just don't think he did anything interesting or unique with his first song and the other gave two strong performances. What do you all think?

9 comments:

Ken and Jen Perkes said...

No way! I would switch Kris and Danny around. Agree completely regarding Adam.

I have to admit that I was disappointed in Kris's first song and agreed with Kara [competent but not great] that he didn't do his usual magic with it, but he more than made up for it with the last song. Randy was right on the money: he made that song--an amazing song that has been sung beautifully by two amazing artists--more incredible than the original!

Danny, on the other hand, IMHO, has NEVER made a song sound better than the original artist. Joe Cocker, Rascal Flatts are perfect examples . . . Danny ALWAYS pales in comparison. I don't think Danny has ever found his voice [a phrase used for writers, but I think it applies well to singers/performers. Adam [who was born with it, apparently] and Kris, on the other hand, have a very distinct voice. You may not like it [obviously you do not, when it comes to Kris and some don't care for Adam] . . . but they have a voice, that is distinct and fresh.

Tonight, especially on the second song, Danny sounded out of breath, out of control, hoarse, and a little bit like he was trying too hard. He always gets points for effort [as you, Shauna, seem to give him even tonight in his awkward dance movements], but we are, again IMHO, way past the point where effort counts. Performance and results are all that count now.

But having said all that . . . Shauna, I love your critiques, and look forward to them almost as much as Idol. It is fun, even though we disagree on Kris and Danny. We can always agree on Adam. He deserves to take it all. I cannot remember in Idol history any performer as consistent as he: not one even remotely poor performance. He [again, very much unlike Danny] can perform a Steve Perry or Led Zeppelin song and sound great in comparison to some of the truly greats!

Go Adam and Kris . . . all the way!

Court said...

See you got me watching it again this week. As far as Danny and Kris go, I think they were both okay, but once again, neither one of them really held my attention. Adam on the other hand, I just couldn't look away while he was on stage. His performances were captivating, and I have a feeling that he could make any song sound good. Too bad we can't see him together, Shauna. You know that would be quite the trip. Here's to going all the way Adam!

e said...

Ugh, Kris.
Seriously, could "Apologize" have been anymore "open mic at the Wilk"?

My sister-in-law LOVES Kris. I cannot see it. I almost wish he will win American Idol because I am convinced American Idol winners generally don't do great in the future. That way it would guarantee better success for Adam. Also, did you notice how Kara said how brave and great it was that Kris played an acoustic guitar on stage and that "no one" would do that? What the heck?! That guitar is glued to him week after week.

In terms of Danny ... I thought he was really good, but then again, he generally is good.

I LOVED when Adam sang "One". I thought he did a terrific job. I wasn't as impressed with "Cryin'" -- not to say it wasn't good. I'll bet it would have been a blast to see live, but through the TV I thought it was just really good (not great); definitely a performance that is meant to be seen in person.

e said...

Sorry! Had to come back to say what I planned to say all along:

What the heck was the deal with the backup singer on "Cryin'"?! Please tell me others noticed it. Horrible. It was like she was trying to steal the thunder.

Ken and Jen Perkes said...

I agree with Emilee: that was just WEIRD! I said to Jen while it was happening: what is with the back-up singer. At times the back-up singer was LOUDER than Adam. As much as I love Adam--and he is my favorite--his performances last night were great, but were not his very best. [Admittedly, he has already set the bar VERY high!]

Jen thinks, and I agree, that Adam made a mistake in choosing a rock song for the "his choice" song. She felt that he need more of a ballad to gather a wider audience. I do not expect Adam to win--though he should.

The same audience that brought us Taylor Hicks, will surely deliver Danny as the AI. By the way, did anyone notice that "You are so beautiful," was the same song that Taylor Hicks chose at this stage in the performance? How appropriate. Anyway, that's my prediction!

M said...

Yeah, Emilee, I thought the same thing about the backup singer for "Cryin'." I wonder if her mic was turned up too loud or something. And the timbre of her voice didn't match Adam's voice or the rock style of the song! Ugh.

I turned to J and said, "Uhh...that backup singer sounds awful," and then, all of the sudden, she went strangely quiet. I hoping that she got attacked backstage and silenced mid-song.

Anyhow...I totally knew what you were going to say in this week's critique, Shauna! It's no surprise that you think Kris should go. I think that he will probably leave tonight, too.

And wasn't it funny that Simon put in a plug for Adam, by telling people to vote and not to assume that Adam will sail into the finals? It's so crazy how everyone just expects that Adam will win. In some ways, I don't think that the finals next week will be much of a competition.

Mike and Ariane said...

I admit, I didn't get to watch it (it was on...but I was pre-occupied). So, based on personality and some performance. Kris is the weak link and needs to go. Then I think Adam should go. He's overrated. The tight pants and tongue thing is starting to be icky, even if he can sing...he'll never be my idol!

Ken and Jen Perkes said...

So much for MY predictions! Having failed once, let me make one more:

Based upon the announcement last night that Kris and Adam were only 1 million votes apart [with over 80 million voters] and my assumption that Danny supporters are more likely to vote for Kris than for Adam, I predict that Kris will take it all. [Don't get me wrong, I think Adam DESERVES it, but . . . . ] So perhaps I will be wrong again!

By the way, for you Danny supporters, his song last night was one of his best performances. I liked it much better than when he originally performed it. For me, I think it goes back to this feeling that he was trying too hard [and that wasn't in his more subdued performance last night].

Julie said...

Really? Life ended with American Idol. I don't believe it. Where are ya? I am dying for an update on life :) Do you have some secret blog I am not aware of? :) haha (okay, maybe you do...) Miss ya! Jules