Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Rock N Rollas

Adam Lambert - Mark my words...the next version of Karaoke Revolution will feature an Adam character to choose from when you perform. Wow! Tonight was his most believable "straight guy" performance. I was blown away by his vocals and the piled-on guyliner. I cannot say how much I love this guy. To pick a song that is so huge and to do it justice is more than impressive. I agree with Simon, it will be hard for others to top that performance tonight. Grade: A+

Allison Iraheta - I knew Allison and Adam would be tonight's strongest performers. She has a natural rock sound to her voice and I think it was wise for her to pick another classic rock artist, Janis Joplin. It was also a wise choice for her to go to Adam's stylist to get attacked with a razor. She looked much more authentic and less like a made-up punk princess. Grade: A

Kris & Danny - Dress up time with the two guys most uncomfortable with tonight's theme. Danny's red button up shirt with a tug boat chain around his neck and unlaced Doc Marten's and the spiky-haired leprechaun dressed in all black with red electrical tape marking the spot of his belly button was hilarious. Surprisingly I agreed with Kara that the two "nice guys" of the competition singing Renegade was a bit of an odd choice, but they did the best they could. Grade: B+

Kris Allen - What Slash was trying to say nicely was that Kris is the most underwhelming performer. I am not that nice...for me, it was ROUGH. First, I consider the Beatles to be pop, not rock. Secondly, I don't think he is an intriguing performer. I know people like his style but for me, it was like talent night at college. I hate how he seems annoyed and put off by the judges criticism. He just doesn't seem to care. I agree with Kara and Paula that he did not have enough energy or presence tonight. Grade: C

Danny Gokey - The intro video had me more nervous than I can say. As did the prep school with chain costume. Even Paula looked unsure when he hit the screech at the end. She was of course doing her obligatory stand-up-and-dance but when he hit that note she kind of paused and stopped waving her arm. I knew tonight wasn't going to be his night, but this was not a great choice of song. Grade: B- (only because he did give it all and went for it)

Adam & Allison - King and Queen of the rock prom performing live!! What more can I say. I knew it was going to be great and it was. Again the costumes were hilarious. It is like they when to the local theatre and asked them for their "rock clothes". Maybe they should have a mentor for clothing as well. Grade: A+

Overall tonight is what I predicted...strong performances from Adam and Allison, good effort from Danny, and apathetic watered down singing from Kris. As those who read this blog know I think Kris is lucky to have made it this far, but I think tonight might (hopefully) be his last. What did you all think?

7 comments:

Ken and Jen Perkes said...

Adam and Allison were truly incredible! Especially Adam! To do Led Zeplin justice: WOW! Adam and Allison were SO far above Danny and Kris that it was like two different shows.

I have to admit that I didn't care for Kris's song. Unless you change up a Beatles song, as David Archuleta did so beautifully last year, you will pale by comparison. Not smart. And I agree with Shauna, not really rock.

But what's with all the love for Danny? He's a nice guy. Okay, I get that. But is that any reason to give him A++ [Paula, I believe . . . or in Shauna's case a B-] for effort? His song was a mess. Not original. Screechy note. Silly little awkward dance at the end. And when he and Kris sang their song, I disagree with Simon [who clearly wants to see a Danny and Adam showdown]: Kris sounded better than Danny [and certainly acted more comfortable]. Danny had more than one off key moment.

But going back to Adam and Allison, it was truly their night and I, for one, wouldn't mind seeing them as the two finalists. They just may have the most marketable talent and they certainly both know who they are and have been true to that all season.

I will say one other thing for Adam: the guy is an absolute perfectionist! While I may not love everything he does, it is always finished to perfection. I'm still waiting for him do a Queen song before the end of the season [but perhaps for him, it would be too obvious].

[Parting thought: Not sure I would sign up this mentor for next year!]

--Ken

Ken and Jen Perkes said...

WOW! Sorry for the LONG comment! Got carried away!

e said...

Ok, so the place I'm staying at for the next few weeks doesn't have cable. That being said, americanidol.com plays back the performances but does not show the video intro or the judges input. Subsequently, I feel so lost.

I wasn't very impressed with Danny's performance. I thought it was wretched until he reached the chorus.

I thought Allison was good.

Kris, what a joke. But, so many people like the college talent show man. Baffles me.

Adam's performance I'm torn on. Clearly it was good, but at the same time, I do find his tongue screetchy thing rather exhausting. I know he's talented, I love him, but sometimes I just get a little tired of the screetching.

Anyone know of any place to see judges commentary??

M said...

I know that you don't like Kris that much, but I didn't think it was as awful as the judges said. Kris did his own twist to the Beatles song, and overall I think he did pretty well. Obviously, "Come Together" is not the best song to show off one's vocal range (since there are only about five notes in the song!), but it was okay. It wasn't any headbanging rock music, that's for sure, but Kris didn't have many options for anything that he could make "his own."

If I was basing things purely off of last night's performance, I think Danny would have to go. His performance (especially that last screech) was a little scary. He was nervous and off-pitch in both his solo performance and the duet. Poor guy.

Adam and Allison were obviously the best. No doubt about it. And I love that Adam sang some Robert Plant - I was waiting for that.

Shauna said...

I think the main reason I would choose Danny over Kris is that he went for a higher degree of difficulty song and also at least attempted to sound rock. I am not saying he excelled at either, but I feel like he went for more of a risk and at least attempted to show his range as opposed to Kris who played it safe and did his usual Talent Night performance. He also just didn't seem like he was really "in to it" last night. My judging is similar to gymnastics. I give extra credit for trying something harder.

Court said...

So I have to admit that last night was the first time I've watched the show all season, but I've been dying to read your blogs and actually understand them. I don't really have much to add about the performances, pretty much everything has all ready been said, but I have to tell you, Shauna, that it's worth it to watch the show just to hear your commentary. Somehow you should be a guest judge on the show. I think what you have to say is right on. Overall, Adam was indeed the best. His was the only solo performance that I didn't get bored watching. Keep up the good work Shauna.

Ken and Jen Perkes said...

Have to comment . . . sorry! . . . on the results show. First of all, how about Paula! Not bad for 47 years old!

And secondly, I realize that I am sad to see Allison go home. She has grown on me. Very cool to have Chris Daughtry perform as an obvious example of how NOT the end of the world this should be for someone who is really talented . . . and I think Allison IS talented!

Great show!

--Ken