Tuesday, April 28, 2009

The White Knight

So when I heard it was Rat Pack night I half expected the mentor to be someone like, oh I don't know, Michael Buble. Evidently he was unavailable or was not up to par with the likes of Jamie Foxx. No one I know hates Jamie Foxx more than my bestie Courtney so I will be interested to hear her thoughts on tonight's show. As surprising as the choice of Jamie Foxx is I hope he will do a good job and steer them in a better direction than Quentin Tarantino.

Kris Allen - So it is well documented that I am not a huge Kris fan...and that is putting it nicely. But, tonight wasn't that bad and he didn't annoy me as much as he usually does. He has a good voice, it is mostly just his personality and style that I don't like. I agree with Randy that this was his best performance so far. I will give credit where credit is due. Good job, Kris...but I still don't think you will win the competition. Grade: A-

Allison Iraheta - As the only girl left in the competition, I really hoped she'd do well tonight. Her young age and skanky corset top made me a bit nervous. But once she started singing Little Bonnie Raitt did not disappoint. Her personality is a bit weird and I am not sure like Simon that she really thinks she could win. Grade: A-

Matt Giraud - Okay, so the intro video with the Foxx was laughable and I didn't agree with the advice he was given. I agree with Kara that there was not as much emotional connection as that song deserves. That is not a song that you end on a big money note. It is a much subtler song than that. Shelbs was on the phone with me before I even was finished writing my review of his performance...enraged. Not my fav. Grade: B-

Danny Gokey - Is this wacky advice night? Foxx is a combo of Corky St. Clair and a Martin Short's weird drama teacher on Get Over It. As strange as it was, at least it worked to his advantage. Danny seemed much more commanding of the stage and his performance tonight which was nice to see. He seems to be stepping up his game and showing that he wants to win. To me this was the first truly original arrangement and probably Danny's best night. Grade: A+

Adam Lambert - It seems like Adam has his own lighting and effects team working on his performances each week. Tonight Angel Adam descended a steep backlit staircase...dreamy. Over the top is where Adam feels his most comfortable. From the blindingly shiny white suit, diamond studs and pointy white shoes he makes Paula look understated. I have to say that I agree with Kara he is so strange, sleazy, and over the top but I like him in the weirdest way. Some of my friends have complained about Adam always being put last like he is always the grand finale but it has to happen that way for a couple of reasons: 1. The teamsters need time to set up Adam's light show, 2. Fox needs commercials/ad revenue while the best contestant is promised at the end, and 3. Would you really want to follow that performance? It is for the best he is at the end so the other contestants aren't compared to him for the whole hour. He is the guiltiest pleasure...and I am including Zac Efron. Grade: A+

So tonight was mostly strong performances (including crazy professor Foxx) and one of exceeding brilliance. For me, it is bye bye Matt tomorrow night. What do you all think?

7 comments:

Ken and Jen Perkes said...

I agree! It was a GREAT show! And guess what? Danny finally came to the party! Shauna gave Kris his dues, well I have to give Danny his. It was one of my favorite performances of the night. Now I believe in him again.

Okay, this is going to be my first criticism of Adam. Don't get me wrong: he is amazing; I love watching him every week; he is definitely the most polished--a perfectly finished PERFORMANCE every week, still a favorite . . . . BUT, tonight, for the first time, Adam reminded me of a drag queen. Watch it again, you'll see it.

Props to Jamie Fox who, it seems, really brought out the best in the contestants [or was it just the standards . . . loved every song!].

--Ken

e said...

First, great picture.

I have to agree with you on everything.

The best Kris performance thus far. Yes, all the girls shall be swooning. I think he did great (for him), but did it blow my mind? Not even close.

Allison. She's talented, but she's just so weird. It's a shame they ever interview her -- you know it hurts her chances.

Matt ... sigh, it was JUST okay. But I felt bad for him when Kara suggested he had no emotional involvement -- clearly he did.

Danny I thought did well. I thought it was good, but I'm waiting to be blown away and I just wasn't.

Dear, dear Adam ... so great, as always. But, I've got to say that his suit was like the exact same material used for wedding dresses. Um, weird.

(Note: I don't know if I have time to write my own AI blog this week. If I do, I'm just going to copy and paste what I wrote above ... love yours, as always!)

M said...

Yeah, I think Matt is going to go tonight. I really thought that he would do well this week, since jazz/blues are kind of his thing. It might have been a good idea for him to sing in a lower key so that he could belt that high note, but I thought that made the sound of his low notes a little too unfocused and gravelly.

I liked Kris' performance too. And I thought that Danny's smoky, raspy voice worked really well tonight. Adam was great and over-the-top, as usual.

Jen Hallam said...

I love your reviews every week. I'm finally getting caught up on reading them. Last night you were right on. I'm so in love with Danny and have been since the dawn of time, so I happy to see him do exceedingly well. Clive thinks I should talk to the bishop about my Danny feelings, but I told him since I'm not keeping it a secret it's ok. Right? Can't wait to see you in a few.

Ken and Jen Perkes said...

Wow! Adam in the bottom two! SImon really set him up.

While I think Matt should have been the one to go home, one thing is true: they are each incredibly talented and Matt's final performance was really sweet.

Parting thought: seeing Taylor Hicks reminds us all of how far we have come!

--Ken

Ken and Jen Perkes said...

Whoops! I meant RYAN really set him up . . . playing that nasty game of "choose the group you should be in" [in an effort to spread a ten minute event into a half hour show!].

M said...

I LOVED the shocked look on Allison and Danny's faces when they found out that they were the only two who weren't in the Bottom Three. Did anyone else notices them? Their mouths dropped to the floor! I think they were especially shocked that Adam was in the Bottom Three - but wasn't everyone?

This is such a good competition this year.