Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Hooray for Hollywood

Well I am back in NH and glad to be able to watch and review all of tonight's performances. I tried to downplay it last week but I about had a meltdown when I realized the DV-R didn't record Adam's performance. Not only do I look forward to his shows, but I knew my blog post would be late. I am back on track and happy to report on this week's show.

I recall feeling confused/uneasy when Quentin Tarantino was a guest judge a few years ago but I was even more surprised when he made an encore appearance for this season's Hollywood Music Show. Does anyone else wonder what his qualifications are for giving singing advice? I am not denying that he is talented in his arena of film making, but I am not sure he would have been my first choice musical direction. Clint Eastwood would have been a better choice. He is multi-talented and has composed the scores for a few of his films. He would have also been a hilarious mentor. I can picture the kids singing and Clint just staring at them with his squinty, unflinching, disgusted face. I know it is the least likely thing to happen but a girl can dream. From what I could see Quentin's advice was neither helpful nor well received. Oh well, maybe next week's mentor will be a bit better.

Allison Iraheta - This is the first week I am honestly underwhelmed by her performance. First, why did she start the song out so low? Second, why did they dress her in a silk parachute? Third, why does the red mullet keep getting shorter and shorter? She did alright, but I did not agree with the judges that she was amazing. Maybe I just expect too much from my favorites. She still deserves to be in the competition, but I hope she does better next week. Grade: B-

Anoop Desai - So it seems Noop-Dog didn't take Q's advice on "roughing it up"...not that I blame him. I loved the intro video when Anoop looked at him like the high school music teacher trying to be hip. Priceless. Luckily he trusted his instincts and stuck with what he does best with a more R&B sound. I do however question the blazer choice. When I first saw him from a distance I thought he was trying to rock the Will Smith/Fresh Prince inside-out blazer...then I realized it had elasticized sleeves like a letterman jacket. Who thought that was a good combo? In any case, well done vocals. Grade: A-

Adam Lambert - Bad-A Adam is back! My favorite contestant summoned his hair dresser and had him break out he razor for a return to his edgy roots. It was all back--the painted on black jeans, guy-liner, and pointy pomaded hair spikes. He worked the stage and even included the Lane Bryant back up singers in his stage musical. My, oh my that was a lot of shakin' going on. Vocally brilliant and I just love that he does something different each week. I don't like all the comments from judges and Ryan about "coming out" of his shell. We get it..he's gay! I think the fact that he didn't have any problem being compared to Rocky Horror is proof enough of that. I guess now that Scott is gone Ryan needs to patronize someone else. Grade: A+

Matt Giraud - Ugh! I want to take the woven fedora he wore in his intro video and throw it in a fire. Got to be one of my least favorite fashion trends. JT is to the fedora what Enrique was to the woven beanie. When you wear it too much you just end up looking like a wannabe. Anyway, his vocals were okay but not great. There were a few pitchy moments that I heard and he doesn't have enough control of his voice in certain parts. I agree with the judges that he has good ideas but sub-par execution of those ideas. I think he may run into the same problem Elliot Yamin ran into where he is a good vocalist, but doesn't really have a fit in the competition. I guess we'll see. Grade: C

Danny Gokey - He may have read the buzz in the blogosphere about his ever-rotating supply of chunky eyeglasses and chose to perform sans specs tonight. It looks like he got dressed without his glasses on. Wrinkly, shrunken, seersucker blazer with star-pocketed jeans is a combo I wouldn't have put together. Seriously, I thought they had stylists helping them not sandbagging them. Luckily Danny's vocal and emotional connection were once again spot on tonight and yet again the sucker in me cannot believe he is able to sing that song after losing his wife. I wonder if I would like him as much if I weren't a pregnant, emotional geyser. Grade: A-

Kris Allen - I know this will make some of my readership frustrated but I really hated his performance tonight. I just don't enjoy watching him perform. It is something about the way he bites his lip and closes his eyes after each phrase that makes me want to slap him silly. By picking that song it seemed he wanted praise for picking something so "obscure" (hello it won the Oscar for best song) but to me it again came off as a coffee house performance. I don't know what it is I just can't connect with him. Grade: C

Lil Rounds - Watching her intro video I was really hoping this would be Lil's chance to show us and the judges that she is serious about this competition and a way for her to differentiate herself from the other contestants. But unfortunately I have to agree with Simon that she just doesn't get it. The judges consistently tell her to sing R&B, soul, gospel etc. and there are plenty of artists she could have chosen that would have allowed her to show that side of her. Instead, she tries to do something ultra original and adapt a Bette Midler song to suit her voice. It just didn't work. I think she is struggling with the same thing Matt is--good ideas, poor execution. This reinforces my opinion of Adam as a true original artist because he possesses not only the creativity but the talent to bring his ideas to fruition. Lil is talented and no one denies that. I am just confused as to why she refuses to sing a song by and artist closer to her vocal abilities and style. Grade: B-

What do you all think?

3 comments:

Ken and Jen Perkes said...

Shauna:

I look forward to your reviews almost as much as the show! We are pretty much in agreement . . . except: Kris was one of my favorite performances of the night. I really like the song he sang and he did it justice--and, in fact, made it his own. He gave it soul and feeling. Kara gave him some credit; Randy agreed with you. And then there is Danny. I WANT to like him, just like I really want to like Lil. But I just don't get all the fuss. Even the audience seem underwhelmed [which is unusual for him]. He is not one bit better than he was in Hollywood. I think he is still riding on his early success and the fact that he lost his wife. Even Simon, who really didn't have anything good to say about his performance, couldn't bring himself to say anything bad.

I have not been a big fan of Anoop, but he gave what I think was probably his best performance tonight. He is growing on me.

And then there is Adam. On him we agree! For me, he is SO far removed from the other competitors that they should just announce him as the American Idol and we will now spend the rest of the season looking for the runner-up. No . . . I would miss him in the lineup. In fact, without him this would not be a very exciting season. He ruled tonight! My comparison to Freddie Mercury is right on! Same charisma; same drama; same over the top performance. I hope he does a Queen song before the season is over; can you imagine Bohemian Rhapsody?!

Sorry for the LONG winded comment!

--Ken

e said...

Love the review, as always.

First, what is with what the contestants are wearing? Allison looked so ridiculous. Matt TOTALLY looks like a wannabe. Gah.

So, it is with sadness I say that I disagree about Adam tonight. Love Adam -- I think he is an artist to the core: original, interesting, great control, can sing anything and everything. BUT, I thought tonight he lacked his signature control. I thought his voice went all over the place (in not a good way). I didn't like it.

But, I do agree with you about Kris. It's funny that you talked about him biting his lip because I was looking at him tonight and his lips were annoying me! They're just too pouty and puppy dog. Gah. Plus, he was awful tonight.

Great review. Can't wait until next week :)

M said...

I'm out of town and didn't get to watch last night - so far I've only seen snippets online. Thanks for posting such a good review. Now I feel like I've kinda seen the show!

From what you said, it sounds like Lil might be in danger this week...