Tuesday, April 7, 2009

The 80s Reloaded

So I am on the road this week watching/blogging from western PA.  Most of the people who read this blog were sitting in the living room with me, but I would still like to post my review for my non-family readers.  This season is proving to show stellar talent and even though they say this every year, I do genuinely believe that this year has the best talent.  Since the oldest contestant was born in 1982 (boy do I feel old) I knew my friends Mike & Ariane would be loving tonight's show as a tribute to the music of the 80s.

Danny Gokey - Not only do I think that Danny is a front runner in this competition, he may end up in the top two.  The beginning of the song was a bit weak, but he came out strong in the end.  He showed once again that he communicates well with the audience and is definitely an original.  As in most weeks, I wish Paula would sit on down when she feels so inspired to get up in dance. Luckily she is only 4' 10" so you can see over her even when she is rockin' out.  Grade: B+

Kris Allen - So I am glad that he is proving as I have said before that he is okay but not great.  The arrangement was not great, performing in the crowd was annoying and I am so sick of the military jacket...again.  Is that the only thing he can wear each week?  He is not an awful singer, but I don't agree with Paula that he has so much likeability it is hard not to like him.  It is not hard at all for me not to like him.  Grade: C

Lil Rounds - Whew! The name controversy has been cleared up! Now we can move on with the competition.  I thought singing Tina would be a good idea, but she really didn't do anything fantastic with it.  She is a good singer, but with the talent we have on this show, she is going to need to stand out to really be able to compete.  She looks great tonight and I think will probably be around next week.  Grade: C

Anoop Desai - I was nervous...but he surprised me with his interpretation of True Colors.  The song was fit well to his voice and I liked that he did something unique with the song.  He seems to found his niche with "stool singing".  He does better with slower songs when he can really show his vocals.  Grade: B

Scott MacIntyre - It was not as bad as it could have been, but it was not great.  I am not a huge fan of that song, and it was not executed well especially in his upper register.  He wanted to show he is "versatile" but he showed he is good at more of the same...soft rock ballad. Grade: C-

Allison Iraheta - Another amazing performance.  She picks the best songs and sings them perfectly. I still can't believe that she is only 17.  She is so confident and performs like she has been doing it for years.  I really think she could be a very successful recording artist in the near future.  Grade: A

Matt Giraud - JT is that you?  If I could listen to it with my eyes closed it would be better.  Are there budget cuts in the styling department?  The fedora and vinyl Members Only jacket are back just like Kris's military jacket.  The vocals were good...but he is just so annoying to watch.  Grade: A-

Adam Lambert - The Dish Network broadcast we were watching last night cut off the last (and best) performance so I had to wait to see it up on You Tube.  Once again I am amazed by Adam's genius in picking the perfect song and singing it in his own unique style.  His ability to transition seamlessly between falsetto and belt is something that makes him a true frontrunner. I also like how he chose to maintain a mostly understated performance tonight but still showed his phenomenal skill.  I wish I had been able to see this last night but what a great way to close the show!!  

What did you all think?

5 comments:

e said...

Someone who doesn't worship Kris! YAY!!! I just don't see his appeal. It's not there for me. Nearly everyone I know has jumped on the Kris bandwagon in the last couple weeks -- I'm glad you haven't.

Adam's performance was beautiful. Truly beautiful. THAT'S music to me.

M said...

Allison really does do a good job. I worry since she's been in the Bottom Three before. Everyone seems to like her, but she doesn't seem to be an absolute favorite. I hope she goes much further in this competition. She really does have a great future in the recording industry.

I noticed that Matt whipped out a few dance moves last night too, which was also JT-esque. I still like him though, fedora and all.

Scott needs to leave. Please.

Luisa said...

Adam is amazing. 'Mad World', like 'Tracks of My Tears', show his absolute ability to command the stage with a simple melody/arrangement. Allison would be my other favorite. She knows 'SONG CHOICE', and if all the other contestants did as well, we wouldn't have the audience yelling 'Broken Record' at the judges.

And I'm afraid 'M' is right about Scott. It's time.

Ken and Jen Perkes said...

Adam and Allison were, in my humble opinion, the only stand outs in the show. Danny has been riding on his past success for some time. I just don't think he is deserving of the praise he has gotten the last two weeks. While his singing is good, I wouldn't have wanted to listen to either of his last two songs more than once. He has become a one-act pony. I agree with Luisa, as much as I like Scott, it WAS time for him to go [Jen cried!].

At this point, Adam is such a stand out that it almost does not seem like a contest. Still, I will be interested to see if his persona--i.e. the fact that he is gay--gets in the way of the public thinking of him as the AI. He reminds me of Freddie Mercury.

And Shauna, I looked for your report right after the show and was sad to find it missing. You really mustn't go traveling about during the AI competition. You are, after all [as I told Shelby at Hannafords], the Perez Hilton of NH! Great report!

Mike and Ariane said...

Thanks Shauna...we feel old!
I wish Lil and Anoop would go home.
As for Adam, it's a bit over the top to act like he already won. His overdramatic lighting on the stage so his face is in the shadows was too much for me. Come on, at least act like you're in the competition, not beyond it. He's had lots more experience performing than the others...so it doesn't seem like he's improving each week. And he closes like every week, how does that make the others feel (OK last week he was second to the last, they had to mix it up a little). And come on...Simon gave him a standing ovation and cut to commercial. It's like he's already the idol and we are just going thru the motions for the sake of the other contestants.
Wow, that was a rant. Not sure if it makes sense! I do love your commentary!