Tuesday, March 31, 2009

The Top 9 Do The Top 40

What a night! After hearing all the performances tonight I have to say I feel kind of like when I eat strangely all day. Eating things that don't necessarily go together but strike my fancy at the moment. Or, in the event of a potluck, you eat some things because they look interesting and other things you ingest just to be polite. In any case, in about an hour it feels like a very odd combo. I would say a majority of the contestants rose to the challenge and did very well. Others brought green Jello with carrots. Here are my reviews.

Anoop Desai - Not bad but not great. I really don't like the facial expressions he makes when he is singing a "sexy" song. This performance brought back the awkward inner feelings of My Prerogative and I didn't like feeling that again. I thought the frat boy comment was funny coming on a night when his "brothers" appeared to be in the audience cheering for him. I don't think he'll win the show, but he deserves another week. Grade: B-

Megan Joy - Oh dear me. Once again she thinks she can pull this off. Everything about the performance was wrong from the song choice to the leotard/corset/chain and pearl artwork top, and the Olivia Newton John jeans, to the maze of braids in the back of her hair. And, for once the judges seem to agree with me. Paula's idea of stool singing is not the solution. The reason she hasn't done that yet is quite simply that she lack the vocal ability to captivate and audience like ahem, Adam. In despite of all they say she seems to think that her "audience" and her "fans" will continue to vote her through. I cannot wait for her to leave this show. She is getting more than annoying...it is teetering on painful. I don't care for Scott's voice, but at least he is humble enough to think he is not bulletproof in this competition. Grade: F

Danny Gokey - I about came out of my chair when he announced his choice to sing a Rascal Flatts song. This is a great song choice for him. They are one of the few country groups I really, really like and I was hoping he would do an awesome job with it. I love this guy! Unlike Megan, Danny can just stand there and sing and really communicate it well with the audience. I was about in tears thinking about him singing that song after losing his wife this year. Even the cynic has a soft spot. Or it could just be that I'm pregnant and I cry during pharmaceutical commercials. Grade: A+

Allison Iraheta - So I thought the punk princess look was a bit much, but once again she delivered a great vocal. I don't know if playing the opening guitar plucks of Don't Speak really qualifies as "bringing out your ax" as Paula said. I nearly did a spit take after hearing Paula say that. It is like she just doesn't realize at all how ridiculous she sounds most of the time. I agree it was not her best performance, but definitely enough to get her through to next week. Grade: B+

Scott MacIntyre - It is well known that I am huge Billy Joel fan, and Scott did exactly what I thought he would do on a night when he gets his chance to sing 70s soft rock. I was just telling my sister this weekend that I he reminded me of Barry Manilow. He knows his niche, but I still keep wishing he would sing something more current. In contrast to the judges image critiques, I think he needs to steer clear of the lady with hairspray and a pick who is teasing his curly mane into an illuminated masterpiece. He did sing it well, and he should be around for another week. Grade: B+

Matt Giraud - I cannot remember another contestant beginning their song in the middle of the crowd with a keyboard. I am not sure why he thought it was a good idea, but it certainly was interesting. Another interesting choice was the vinyl Members Only jacket. He has a great voice and I really hope he is still around. I couldn't believe he was in the bottom three last week. Grade: C+

Lil Rounds - Singing Celine is always a huge risk. Lil has a great voice, but for me it sounded like she was a bit off pitch. Evidently the judges were not hearing the same thing. I did like Paula's comment about not wanting to hear Adult Contemporary from Lil. They should make that a rule for all contestants. She looked great...there is just not hiding the back I guess. Side note: It is times like this when I wish I was black. I wish I could just slip on new and different hair everyday depending on my outfit and whim. When I watch Sherri Shepherd on The View I think the same thing. Each day is a completely new look and she is quite vocal about how much she loves her purchased hair. White women just can't pull it off, but if you're black, no one needs to know what your real hair is like. Grade: B

Adam Lambert - The award for best Kurt Russell look-a-like in 3,000 Miles to Graceland goes to...Adam. He is such a weirdo but I just LOVE how he's so original. I was nervous that this song would be over the top and I guess if you had never heard Adam before you could say that. But this leopard can't change his spots. He is who he is and it sings every song brilliantly. I like Kara, can't wait to see what he will do next and I would LOVE to see him live. Grade: A+

Kris Allen - Even though he is not my favorite, he did sing it well and I agree the arrangement was very unique. I just cannot latch on to him. He is a good singer and has obvious musicality, but for some reason I just don't care for him as much as some others in the competition. To be fair though, I need to give credit where credit is due. Grade: A

What do you all think?

8 comments:

Shelby said...

So I think Kara is the biggest idiot ever. I only caught the last two songs, but after Adam sung she exclaims "It's like it's Studio 57 in here". It's Studio 54 Kara, I was born in the eighties and at least I know that. She did that the other week too when Adam sang "Ring of Fire". She says "yeah that whole Egyptian thing was kind of crazy..." When have the Egyptians ever been known for their music? When I think of the sitar that is definitely Indian to me, the dot not the feather. I have to agree about Kris not his biggest fan, but I was mildly impressed this week.

Ken and Jen Perkes said...

Told you you would have to change your thoughts on Kris. He is rising! In fact, he was my favorite performance tonight [he's moved up to my top four]. Megan can't get much worse. Adam is brilliant as ever. I was not as impressed with Danny as you were; didn't measure up to Gary LeVox's voice in the Rascal Flatts' arrangement and, for me, he didn't make it his own [but the emotion was not lost on me]. Keep those reviews coming!

e said...

Ugh. It was with much hesitancy that I admit that Kris did a decent job this week.

I think you're pretty dead on, as always. And I really appreciate your review of Megan. I can't stand her. Her arrogance is so unbecoming.

M said...

Kris did do a very good job this week. I haven't paid too much attention to him before, but I think he is really working hard and performing better each week. I don't know if he'll win me over as a fan, but I was impressed tonight. It was probably my favorite performance.

I was so shocked that Matt was in the Bottom Three last week! Even though he didn't perform so well tonight (really poor song choice_, I still voted for him - I want him to stick around longer.

I also totally agree with you about Anoop; I always feel really awkward when he performs upbeat songs. He's like the nerdy kid in high school who's trying to act cool by performing in a talent show. Yikes.

kanewoman said...

Is there anyone in the world who would NOT want to watch American Idol with none other than you? You should get paid for this! Love you Shauna! ( I had to listen to the first three on my cell phone with Pops putting the speakerphone next to the TV. I can't believe I have gotten this addicted to AI, and it is all thanks to you.

Julie said...

You are going to the Idols concert this summer aren't you? haha

Nate Perkes said...

How fun! Nate and I always check out what you've got to say about the performances. I honestly couldn't stop thinking about you and your posts while watching elimination night. Megan was OUT OF CONTROL. Nate and I agree that you are dead on with all your commentary. I would say that I think Danny reached his climax in popularity and hype early on, and that he might need to step up his game to keep up with Adam, for example. With Kris however, there has been steady improvement. He's grown on me. Thanks for your INCREDIBLY entertaining, tongue-in-cheek sum-ups. We love it!!

Mike and Ariane said...

Yeah, Megan is gone! Just as you predicted. I do agree with Shelby on Kara. When she said "Studio 57" I turned to Mike and was like "What?" It's 54!