Tuesday, March 10, 2009

The Baker's Dozen

First of all, let me say I am so glad we are past the riff-raff stage. I don't think the performances were that bad (with the exception of Megan) and I am happy to say that this upcoming season is really looking good. I am also intrigued to find out about the judging change. It seems like the judges are trying to take the show back from the American people which I can see as both a good and bad thing. When Ryan announced it would be Michael Jackson night I was both terrified and excited to see what the contestants would come up with and so without further ado, here are my reviews for this week.

Lil Rounds - I was excited to see her start off the show despite her taking the stage in taper legged, pleated white pants. The SNL commercial Mom Jeans immediately came to mind but I knew she would deliver a strong performance. Lil you are an amazing vocalist, but when Paula gives you wardrobe compliments it is time to find a new look. Just something to think about for next week. All in all a strong, solid performance to start the show. Grade: A

Scott McIntyre - As a disclaimer I must admit I only listened to the next three performers since my husband finally acquiesced to a much needed haircut. I think Scott sounded good, not great and I still think people are more interested with his backstory than his actual vocal chops (shout out Kara!). Grade: B

Danny Gokey - I have been a huge fan of his since his initial audition and he did not disappoint tonight. He has an amazing singing talent but I agree with the judges comments that he is definitely not a dancer. Grade: A

Michael Sarver - I have liked him less and less each time I see him and tonight's predictable choice of You Are Not Alone really annoyed me. He is not pleasing to watch and again I think people are voting for him because he is a "regular" guy. There is something so old fashioned about the way he performs and not in a cool Dean Martin type of way, but in a late-nineties JC Chasez type of way. Does anyone remember back when MTV played music videos how excited JC would get when he had a small solo during an *NSYNC song? That is the same feeling I get when I see Michael perform. I just feel like he is ten years too late. With all the talk from the judges about being "relevant" I am surprised he is not given more criticism on that point. Grade: B-

Jasmine Murray - For the "commercial" singer of the bunch I was not blown away. I felt that her performance of I'll Be There was flat and non-dynamic throughout. I know there must be something the judges see that I don't see, but to me she is a pretty girl singing okay. Grade: B-

Kris Allen - I know the intro with him and his new wife making Hamburger Helper together was supposed to be endearing but it just made me roll my eyes even more. To me he seems like a John Mayer wannabe and was trying to make much more out of the song than was really there. How excited did he expect the crowd to get for Remember the Time? It is just not a get up and into it song. Again, this is someone the judges are in love with but I just can't seem to latch on to. Grade: B

Allison Iraheta - I love the fact that she got her start singing in a Latino BJs/Costco/Bob's Discount Furniture. It was so funny to see here back there singing for patrons in the warehouse filled with recliner sofas and fake potted plants. Not surprisingly I loved her performance yet again tonight. She has always impressed me and what I love most about her is that she knows how to pick songs that really show off her voice. That is a gift in and of itself. She also has a very clearly defined self-image and it seems very genuine. That cannot be taught. Grade: A

Anoop Desai - Despite my high hopes for him, his performance of Beat It was disappointing. What was he thinking? Of all the songs in MJ's catalog, that is one of the ones I definitely would NOT pick. He is likeable but with so much strong competition I just don't see how he can go very far if he doesn't pick better songs. Grade: C

Jorge Nunez - Caterpillar eyebrows aside, sweet Jorge can sing. I was not in love with his song choice of Never Can Say Goodbye. His movements seems stiff and then oddly fluid and I don't know if it had to do with the Miami Vice blazer he was wearing. It looked like it might be cutting off circulation to his arms. He is a sweet boy and sang the song well. Grade: B-

Megan Joy Corkrey - Ugh! It was like I was in a bad dream. It was the same "I can't believe this" feeling I had with Norman Gentle, but you could tell she is not joking. The whole Rockin' Robin performance for me was ridiculous from the push-up bra dress with the macrame straps her weird facial expressions and "dance moves". The real icing on the cake was the "Caw! Caw! Caw!" she gave at the end. Does she realize this is not a kindergarten talent show for the parents? I seriously don't get what the judges see in her and the critique is always the same. "Not a great vocal, but at least you are you" How is that a compliment? This is a singing competition not a "Who's the Most Unique?" contest. Grade:D

Adam Lambert - Just when I thought the show was taking a nosedive, Adam comes along to save the day. I completely agree with the judges that he is an excellent performer and he completely knows who he is. He, like Allison, knows how to pick songs to showcase his voice and use his stage presence to best advantage. I also think he is deserving of the title "relevant" which I think is a term that has been thrown around too willy-nilly this season. The only thing I would change is telling the light show guy to not go so crazy with effects. I know the song was Black and White but the light show was a little intense. Easy does it. He is talented enough on his own he doesn't need all that jazz. Grade: A+

Matt Giraud - Was it just me or did the music seem to drown him out? I felt like I couldn't hear him throughout the whole song. I am not a huge fan of Human Nature because as I have said before I think the show is heading too much in the direction of Delilah. He did an alright job but I was not blown away especially after seeing Adam perform. Does anyone else think he looks like he could be Josh Lucas's less attractive, younger brother? Grade: B

Alexis Grace - For me, Dirty Diana was over the top and over-sung. She does have a good voice and I at least give her credit for going full bore on the song but it was all just a little too much. The 6 inch plat form heels, footless tights and zip up strapless hot pants jumpsuit to me just screams "I am trying to be edgy...how am I doing?" Allison and Adam are able to pull off the more edgy rocker clothes because it seems like something they are comfortable in. When Alexis tries a similar look it just seems too contrived to me. Grade: A-

So, two must go tonight. If I were choosing who would go home based on tonight's show it would be Megan for sure and then either Michael or Anoop. I like Anoop and would like to see him again, but he performed badly tonight. Michael was passable tonight but I really do not care to see him again. What do you all think?

p.s. What is up with all the make-up touch up shots before commercial break?

7 comments:

The Huffakers said...

Wow! You are really into American Idol. I wish I could share something about it but I honestly dont watch the show.
Your blog is inspiring; maybe i'll start watching. Anyway, we should really get together sometime.

e said...

First, thanks again for being okay that a complete stranger comments on your blog (hopefully Monica can vouch for me!).

I agree with you about Megan! I'll be honest, I liked her initial audition but since then I can't stand her. I think she's a bit mouthy to the judges (which I can't stand), and I really don't think she's that great of a singer. Can she manipulate her voice a little bit to sound "different"? Yes. Does that make her a powerful, talented singer? No. And seriously, a mother with a sleeve tattoo? Classy.

I also think you're right about Michael -- he is likable, but you hit the nail on the head with the JC comparison.

It's going to be interesting to see who get's eliminated tonight ... plus, what is this new turn the judges are taking tonight?? I think they might eliminate three people tonight -- two chosen by the public, one by the judges ... guess we'll see!

M said...

I think that Megan might stay another week. She definitely didn't perform well last night, but I think she might stay. If it was up to me, I think that Anoop and Michael might go.

Okay, I'll be honest: I don't like Scott MacIntyre very much. His voice is alright, but I don't think it's anything exceptional. I know that a lot of people like him and are inspired by him, but I don't think he's that great of a singer. And he's not a very engaging performer, which I don't think should be justified because he is blind (Hello? Ray Charles was a great performer!).

My favorites so far are Adam (you're right, he's an amazing great performer!), Danny, and Matt. I think Matt has a musicality and sensitivity that Danny and Adam lack (or have not really shown the audience yet). I also love Allison too.

(P.S. I can totally vouch for Emilee!)

Hannah said...

Garrett actually really liked Kris, and I like Lil the best.

What do you think they are changing about tonight??

Emma and John said...

I have been so over megan since the first time she performed. Who sings Rockin Robin? I think the judges only like her looks, personally. I actually like Kris- I could listen to a cd of his I think. And I LOVE danny! By far my favorite voice. I love reading your A.I. posts when I need a laugh. It's like you say everything I'm thinking but don't know how to say! :)

Ken and Jen Perkes said...

Another A.I. fan! Jen and I are completely addicted to the show. And like you we are always happy to get to this stage in the season. The reality show drama is definitely not why we watch: it's the singing! I very much liked your reviews. I picked Adam as a winner in the auditions round . . . and he's only gotten better. I couldn't believe the way he controlled the stage last night! When you compare this year to past seasons, the one thing missing at this stage of the show are a couple of really bad singers [the kind that keep the vote for the worst crew going]. While there have been some poor performances, there are really no bad singers left. It should be an interesting season! Now that I know the best reviews are right here, I will be a frequent visitor.

--Ken

e said...

I'm with you Monica about Scott. He makes a great story but he's lacking. He just seems so awkward and he isn't blowing me away with his vocals. Too bad. If he had a better voice or even a better stage presence, I think he'd be awesome ... shoot, even if he just picked better songs! I think he'll make it a couple weeks then he'll be gone. But still, his brother is cute ;)