Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Delilah presents American Idol

For those of you who are fans of listen-while-you-work stations tonight's American Idol was for you. As most Americans know Delilah (love someone tonight) is a nationally syndicated radio show that usually plays on soft rock stations after 7 p.m. All of the songs from tonight's broadcast (with perhaps the exception of Lil' Rounds) would be featured on that show. I just don't get why a collection of teens and twentysomethings with all of Billboards Top 100 hits to choose from would pick such "Lite" songs. Watching tonight's show I felt like drinking cans of Tab and eating miniature candy bars while smiling at Cathy comic strips pinned to my cubicle wall. As usual it feels like there were a few clear standouts amid a sea of mediocrity.

Von Smith - To be fair to Von I have not liked him ever since I saw him perform And I'm Telling You on The View last year. I think he is commonly guilty of oversinging, tonight he came close but mostly remained restrained for his performance of You're All I Need to Get By. For me, this is the least annoying I have seen him despite his fire engine red V-Neck under a grey suit. Grade: B+

Taylor Vaifanua - When she announced that she would be singing If I Ain't Got U I thought this would be a good choice. That is because I assumed she could sing low notes well. I was wrong. The song wasn't awful, but it was not that great. I also did not like her shiny black leggings tucked into knee-high boots. I guess Hurricane or Hurricun as she said it will have to produce another American Idol. Grade: C+

Alex Wagner-Trugman - Because he is the resident geek I want to like him. There is something so enjoyable about seeing someone try so hard and still be so awkward. I feel especially bad for him that even Paula was making fun of him. Hi s "choreography" of stepping four feet from the microphone and then throwing the stand late on in the performance was hilarious and much like Norman/Nick from the week before I almost hope he goes through so I can see him perform again. I am rooting for the mathlete. Grade: B-

Arianne Afsar - My friend Ariane may kill me for saying this, but choosing ABBA's The Winner Takes It All was a bad choice. There is not enough of a melody to really make it interesting and it is laughable to see a teen try to sing this song seriously. The notes especially the last note was rough!! Hey, if Pierce Brosnan can sing this song, you should at least be able to get the notes right. Grade: C

Ju'not Joyner - I hate the song Hey There Delilah and I am not Ju'not's biggest fan. I really hate when people have apostrophes in the middle of their name for really no reason. I don't think he is that talented and his clothing looks like he just stepped out of Gen-X...not good. Listening to the performance it felt like the longest 1:20 minutes of my life. The song is a bubbly pop song not a serious slow ballad. I don't know why the judges are so crazy about the kid with cat scratches in his hair. I just don't get it. Grade: C-

Kristen McNamara - Singing Tracy Chapman's Give Me One Reason was actually not as bad as I thought it would be. The many key changes and her soulful interpretation of the song definitely showed me that she can sing and she is serious about being in this competition. I did feel bad for her that the judges (mostly Simon) were so harsh on her outfit because I felt like she looked SO much better than I have ever seen her. She admits she doesn't have the best style, but at least she is trying. Grade: B

Nathaniel Marshall - I am so sick of the drama that seems to follow this freak show wherever he goes. His interpretation of Meatloaf's I Would Do Anything For Love was so odd but not in a good way. His choreography reminded me so much of Jazzercise and even Paula compared him to Boy George. Nothing says crazy like blue foil headband, shoulder padded blazer and tight black pants. Grade: C-

Felicia Barton - She has the likeability factor that so many contestants (ahem Nathaniel) lack. The fact that she was cut and brought back makes me like her more. Her singing was quite good and I like the fact that she is a SAHM that actually wears clothes that cover her. What I mean is she doesn't seem to be trying to be something she is not (Alexis Grace). Grade: B

Scott McIntyre - Despite what the judges agreed on, I was not blown away by his performance. This may not make me the most popular girl on the blogosphere, but I feel like Scott may be getting the pity vote because of his disability. He has a good voice yes, but to me it just wasn't fantastic. The Napoleon Dynamite hair needs to be tamed as well. Grade: B-

Kendall Beard - I don't mind country music and I actually like most of Martina McBride's songs. BUT...if you are going to sing Martina you better be able to hold your own and really blow it out. Her performance was pitchy, slidy and I just wanted it to stop. She is adorable and clearly knows it. Grade: D

Jorge Nunez - I was impressed with his voice all during his performance. He has a strong voice and a very confident stage presence. His Peter Gallagher eyebrows are a little unhinging and if he makes it through, I hope the stylists take care of them. I felt bad for him because I think the judges were patronizing to him about his accent. Vote for Pedro! Grade: B+

Lil' Rounds - As usual the producers save the best for last. Lil seems so confident, so comfortable, so professional, it is hard not to like her. Amazingly strong vocals and she is packing it in the front and back! Whoa girl! Grade: A+

If I were choosing tonights three it would be Lil' Rounds, Jorge Nunez, and for the third Von or Felicia. What did you all think?

p.s. Will someone please tell Cara to stop banging on the table and swallowing the mic when she gives a crtiique!!!

1 comment:

e said...

You are so funny -- I about died laughing the bit about Delilah -- SO true! What is with everyone doing such soft-rock songs? You'd think they'd learn the masses like to hear a power house type song.

I think your critiques of everyone are dead on. As far as those moving on to the top 12, I'm thinking Lil, Jorge (I'm thinking America can't resist his sweet little tears), and Scott. Like you said, his disability seems to make him a shoe in. But, I have to admit, I like him.

Thanks for doing these reviews. They are so much fun to read.