Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Disco Inferno

In case anyone missed last week's results show or the plethora of articles covering the judges' save last week, AI was kind enough to replay the dumbest decision they have made yet. I honestly don't understand why they would save a contestant they don't think could win the whole thing, AND...more importantly, a contestant that has been voted out by America twice in the initial elimination rounds. Don't get me wrong, I don't hate Matt or anything. I think he is talented and has done a good job. But, if America does not see him as the next superstar and they tell that to us three times, I don't know why the judges are so intent on forcing us to believe otherwise. Hopefully he will surprise/impress me tonight and I will understand their decision. Anyway, on to the reviews...

Lil Rounds - So Lil finally got the memo to sing a song in a genre that is closer to her own. And, in a real shock she actually looked like she was having fun. I didn't think she was as bad as they are making it out to be. I wasn't blown away, but I think this is one of her better performances. Grade: B

Kris Allen - Excellent explanation about why you chose that song to sing. "It's about a woman...who has a good work ethic". Oh, that clears it up. The song was near unrecognizable but evidently that was just what the judges were looking for. I can't stand listening to him/watching him do calf lifts during each song, but I appear to be outnumbered. Looks like the hobbit will be around for another week. Grade: C

Danny Gokey - For those who read my blog I have made it very clear that Danny is one of my favorites. However, tonight's performance in my opinion was not his best. I think Danny excels at slower songs that allow him to connect with the audience. He did have strong vocals but I agree with Simon that he is not the most fluid performer during upbeat songs. I still feel he is a strong contender, but not the best I have seen him. I really wish he would have done a Bee Gees song. Grade: B+

Allison Iraheta - Channeling Xtina during her Dirrrty years, tonight's performance was once again a bit of a costume show mixed with vocal brilliance. I didn't know she could riff that extensively and make it look easy. I, like the judges, was not crazy about the arrangement, but she is quite a performer who should be around for a while. Grade: A-

Adam Lambert - The Gibb brothers strike again! This is why I have been fans of theirs for years. Adam's vocals were dead on and he has a way of connecting what he is feeling with the audience that is truly a gift. I don't hide the fact that I am huge musical theatre fan and most of my love for the music comes from the actors' ability to make me feel what their character is feeling. I think that is why Adam has done so well in this competition because he has that experience and background. He understand and thrives in the world of make believe. He knows what to do and what to wear and what to say to make us buy the whole act. I cannot wait to buy his album and see him perform live. Grade: A+

Matt Giraud - Ugh! The woven fedora is back!! Why has no one taken that away from him yet? His performance tonight seemed like a frenzied, desperate attempt to stay in the competition. You could see the fear in his face as he sang. It reminded me a little of the Rock of Love girls when they think Brett is going to send them packing. Matt obviously has more movement in his face but you get the idea. Simon is the only judge who is willing to admit they may have made a mistake. The others don't want to look foolish, although in my opinion they are doing just that by validating a performance like that. I didn't like that he chose that song (someone does it every year) and he really didn't do something uber-original as was suggested. Grade: B-

Anoop Desai - When he started out slow, I got nervous for him because I don't want him to do the same thing each week. When the tempo came up I started to get excited that he was really going to fly with it but it stayed in a mid range. There were moments that I thought it sounded a bit like an Usher song, but it didn't quite make it there. On a positive note, he looked better than he ever has. I loved the little bit of growth and the powder grey suit. To me he looked like the guy I imagine with marry my BFF Courtney. We can dream right? Love ya, Cat! Grade: B

If I had to guess who would be going home this week it would probably be Matt and Anoop, possibly Lil. Kris would be going home if I had my way, but as I said earlier I doubt he will be voted off.

What do you all think?

3 comments:

Ken and Jen Perkes said...

Kris and Adam all the way!!!

Tonight they each proved that they--as performers--were bigger than the theme. Each of them "overcame" disco night, if you will. The other five hit varying ranges of Karaoke, with Allison on the high end [incredible voice!]

Kris is becoming one of my favorites. Like Adam, he is true to himself each week. He has a sort of Jack Johnson/Jason Mraz vibe. And I would buy an album he produced.

Adam has a flair for drama, in that he likes to keep us a bit surprised by what he does. No exception this week. He goes down tempo on disco night.

Most overrated performer: Danny, by a mile! [I know I say that EVERY week, but it's true and he has done nothing to dispel that.] He is a great singer--period. He is not a performer [awkward!] or an artist. He just sings well.

--Ken

e said...

Whaaaaat? You think Anoop looked good? Oh dear! I couldn't get over the horrible pink sweater and mexi-stache! Oh well.

And Kris ... well, we're definitely on the same page. I think he's going to make it to final 3. Sigh. He's just so mediocre to me. He's like every 19 year old girl's dream. Horrid.

Love Adam, as always.

M said...

I think Matt might stick around another week. I actually liked Kris' performance, but I agree with you that this wasn't Danny's best night. It was awkward and didn't showcase his vocal technique. Anoop's performance was rather boring to me, and I think that he and Lil might go home tonight.

J and I have been talking, and we have decided that the judges are trying to give Lil a personality and artistic persona that she doesn't have. They keep telling her to show "who she is" and I can tell that Lil is getting frustrated. Honestly, I think Lil is showing America "who she is." She is a really good R&B singer who likes to put very small, slight twists of soul and gospel into her singing. But she's not an amazing arranger or musical "artist." That's not "her." I think the judges are trying to put some kind of categorization or personality on Lil which just isn't there. Lil is a great singer, but I don't know if her subtle musical twists will help her to go much further in this competition. Her musical style and taste doesn't stick out enough among the other "artists" in the competition (which is sad, in a way, since this show is supposed to be about singing instead of musical artistry).