Wednesday, February 3, 2010

The Road to Hollywood

Amanda Drama girl (didn't get her name...I was on the phone) who kinda reminded me of Carnie Wilson had a good voice but I completely agree with the judges that she had no connection to the song. I don't know why she was trying to blame it on being a theatre major. You are taught to connect to anything you are performing -- monologue, scene, song. I didn't feel that was a valid argument.

Lee Dewyze reminded me too much of Elliot Yamin from seasons past and I did not like his interpretation of Ain't No Sunshine.

Crystal (Piece of My Heart) is what I would have called in high school a wookie. Total hippy dippy granola, earth mother I-don't-brush-my-hair-or-teeth weirdo. I HATE when girls sing Piece of My Heart and I am not sure why it has had a resurgence lately among the contestants. Ugh. She got through and I don't know why.

Lacey Brown - I was glad to see her get a second chance especially since she lost out to Megan Joy Corkerey last year. Yuck. I like her much better than Megan.

Stephanie Fisher - I was most blown away with Kara telling her that she was a really smart girl. Uhhhh....when I think of really smart girls I don't picture an overly tanned barbie doll look alike with a bumpit in her hair, wearing a sequined leotard, fishnets and spectator shoes. I am actually more than confident if you walked around an ivy league campus you would not see one girl wearing such a ridiculous outfit. Oh yeah and did we forget the fact that she can't sing and she keeps showing up each year even though she is told again and again not to come back? How does that make her really smart Kara? Sometimes, ok most times, I wish Kara wouldn't talk.

Genesis Moore - Did anyone else notice how FLAT she was on I Told You So? Painful. I was SHOCKED that they put her through.

Adrian Chandichi- Did anyone else think he was a woman? Especially after the blossom analogy? Ok, and then after he sang I Can't Help Falling In Love With You? And then after noticing it looked like he was wearing a white woman's maternity top? WOW!

Michael "Big Mike" Lynche - Good voice...very smooth and he gave a confident performance. I don't think if I had just heard the voice I would remember him beyond the night, though. In my mind he is still the guy with the big arms and the ok voice. Hopefully he can change that and really do something special during Hollywood week.

Didi Benami - I can respect the fact that she is trying to make the song her own, and she was singing for her friend, and she was in tune, I just don't really care for that "style" of singing. It again reminds me of Megan Joy. Side note: seeing AvLav again with those silly devil horns on her hoodie made me want to run up and yank them off her head. How easy do you think it is to sing to someone like that. If I were auditioning I would find it incredibly distracting. It's not about you, Avril!

Aaron Kelly - I really liked his back story(I'll admit it, I was tearing up) and thought he had an exceptionally good voice for his age. He had a really great tone and control of his voice. I winced when he announced he would be singing Miley Cyrus, but I agree with Simon it was a good choice for him. I hope he does well in the next round.

Kimberly Bishop - I kissed a girl in a tiny black nightie...oops they had to censor me. I really wished she could have sung Katy Perry's song to her. That would have been even more funny.

I felt bad for Shania especially after her mom told of the vision she received that her daughter could sing. She is a cute girl. Maybe she can get better at something else because she is truly tone deaf.

Hope Johnson - I really liked her back story. I am a mess tonight with the little kid stories. Just thinking about kids not having enough food is enough to melt the heart of even this grump. Even though I Hope You Dance is not my favorite song, I think she did a good job with it and she does seem to have a special energy about her. I like her.

Phew! We are through with the freaks and geeks phase of the competition. On to the real contest!!! YEA!!!

What did you all think?

2 comments:

e said...

I missed a lot of tonight's show because I drove one of my roommate's to the library (my act of service for the day, ha ha). BUT, I was kind of okay with missing most of it because I'm so over the try-outs. I just want to get to the serious stuff already and not have to see people dressed up wacky.

I'm with you Shania. Can you imagine thinking it is your destiny to sing and then be that bad?

As for the blonde chic with the "Utah poof" on the back of her head, I saw those for sale the other day at at store in D.C. I'm pretty sure I wept audibly. What a shame that that thing has to spread to the rest of the country. As far as I'm concerned, Utah can keep it.

e said...

Oh, and I'm eager to see how this Ellen thing is going to play out. I'm not anti but I'm also not convinced.