Tuesday, February 2, 2010

The Mile High City

Mark Labriola - I wasn't as blown away by his rendition of Tempted as the judges were, but I think his backstory is what intrigues them.

Mario Galvan - hahahaha. His nervous laugh was annoying enough before he started singing and I was hoping that he wouldn't have a good voice so we wouldn't have to deal with that for nearly an entire season (ahem, Tatiana from Season 8). Thankfully my hopes were realized and he really did not have talent. A-hahaha.

Kimberly Kerbow - Cute girl. Cute daughter. Her voice was pleasant although I kept wondering while she was singing if she was wearing a wig. Then, I heard the judges talk about it and I didn't feel so crazy.

Danelle Hayes - Great control of her voice although she made me very nervous with all of the crying before she even sang. I hope that she does well in the successive rounds of the competition, but I have my doubts. She seems to not deal well under pressure, but who knows? Maybe she only had a couple hours of sleep and will fare better now that she knows the judges like her.

Casey James - "Dance Monkey, dance!" Add this to the many reasons why I don't like Kara. Since she was so offended by Bikini Girl last year, definitely the way to respond is to do the same to some poor guy this season. It really offended me that they made him take his hair out and his shirt off to get through to the next round. They would be outraged if Simon or Randy did that to a woman.

Tori Kelly - I guess the technique for getting through is bringing your kids/sister in to sweeten the judges. Because I watch the show each week I guess I am just getting hardened to that reality. I wish the judges would also adopt my annoyance, but alas, 16 year old Tori gets sent through. I don't think she will last long. Her voice is ok, but I wasn't overly impressed. Posh and Kara are more interested in changing this into a looks competition instead of a singing competition, and this is what happens.

Austin Paul - I can't stand people that have a high opinion of themselves and no talent to back it up. If anyone has seen the amazing documentary Every Little Step, this guy reminds me of Tyce. I was SO glad they did not put him through.

Kenny (didn't get his last name) - Painful and I felt bad for him that he really thought he was good. SO repetitive! Ugh!

Nicci Nix - Her speaking voice seems VERY nasally so I am already nervous for her. Her singing voice was better and she is cute so I knew she would get sent through. Maybe I am just not hearing right tonight, but so far, I have been underwhelmed by the talent. I really think she could have picked a better song that would have showcased her "range" a bit better. I think that song had four notes. But, as Posh said, she has beautiful skin so, 'nuff said.

Haeley Vaughan -Well as soon as I write that I wasn't impressed with anyone, in walks Haeley Vaughan. The thing I liked most about her, was not her backstory about being a preemie. I really like the fact that she wants to be a "black-pop-country-mainstream artist". Lofty dream, but I like her motivation and I thought she picked a tough song to sing. I hope she does well in the next round.

What did you all think?

1 comment:

e said...

Wow, you are so good with their names! I don't know ANY of them (though, I could just look at your post)!

I've got to say that I've kind of liked Posh as a judge. Don't love her, but not bothered by her. She looks like such a snob and so high-maintenance, but she was so positive to everyone and so complimentary.

I, like you, am SO over using little kids to soften the judges.

I liked the black girl hoping to be a country singer and I don't like country! I just liked that she was different.

I'm getting sick of try-outs though, I'm ready to move on to Hollywood week already!