Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Don't Mess With Texas

NPH is a guest judge!! Yea!!!

Julie Kevelin (Lady Marmalade girl) proves that hope springs eternal for a special few. I am trying to resist the urge to comment on her blue 1980's sparkly prom dress, glittery eyeshadow and overprocessed hair, but I can't. She really is the whole package of someone who truly believes she can sing, and really, really can't. I feel most sorry for the fact that she seems nice and is beating herself up over breath support. Breathing technique is not her problem. She is someone that just cannot hear the melody or that she is not singing it.

Lloyd Thomas' (the dock worker)back story made you already hope that he can sing. I knew what Kara was going to say before she even opened. She is amazed every time that people outside "the industry" can sing. Isn't that the whole idea of the show?

Kimberly Carver made me smile. I love her personality and I thought her voice was great. She just seemed like someone I would be friends with. I also liked that she wanted to go home and watch reruns of Doogie Howser. Come on Kimberly, do you really need an excuse to do that? That is classic TV.

Dexter (look no farther) Warren...I don't know if he even changed notes while he was singing. He at least took defeat gracefully.

Barney and Friends' Erica Rhodes decided to do her audition with the aid of a whip and I really thought it was going to backfire. To my surprise the judges liked the whole dominatrix routine. I thought her voice was a bit thin and were she to perform without the props and the Barney experience she probably wouldn't have made it through. We'll see if she makes it past Hollywood week...I doubt it. I also thought it was funny that her mom was so excited that she got through in that getup. Let me tell you, if I walked out of an audition dressed in black pleather and Pretty Woman boots, my mom would not be doing cartwheels. "Yea my daughter thinks she can't get by on her own talent! She values herself so little that she needs to appeal to the lowest common denominator to be accepted! I am so proud."

Turrets guy, Dave Pittman, was great. I think his voice has a really great tone and I agree with Simon, I think people will root for him.

I really liked NPH has a guest judge. I thought he was fair and decent and respectful of contestants' efforts. Plus he can really sing and is actually talented unlike last night's devil horned cutie.

So I am probably dating myself, but I am not really sure which one Joe Jonas is. Is he Taylor Swift's ex or the one who just got married, or the diabetic one?

Blue plaid flannel shirt guy (sorry I didn't write down his name in time) had a good voice, but I, like Simon, wasn't blown away.

Kara has such a unique way of insulting people followed by a compliment. "I really thought by the way you are wearing a tank top and shorts and that you came in here happy and smiling you were really gonna suck."Way to make yourself look dumb Kara, I am sure there are many more moments like that to come. Maegan Wright took the "criticism" in stride and got through to the next round. When she first started singing and dipped way down to sing the word face it brought back unpleasant memories of Megan Joy Corkoree from last season, but I didn't get that vibe for the rest of the song.

I think Vanessa Johnston was a set up. She was a little too happy to not go through. Why waste our time with that.

I liked that Christian Spears picked a lesser known Etta James song and sang it very confidently. I was also glad that the judges didn't make a big deal about her being a cancer survivor. That's not to say that it's not a big deal to be a cancer survivor, I just don't like it when I feel like they are pitying the contestant. If it were me, I would want to get in on my skills not because people felt bad for me.

So which ever Jonas he is, Joe was the most oatmeal judge they have had yet. He pretty much said nothing other than, "you're really awesome" but now that I write that, I really didn't want to hear much more from him. Well done J squared.

What did y'all think?

2 comments:

e said...

I didn't know which Jonas Brother that was either. I accredit that not to old age, but rather, good taste in music!

I loved NPH.

I was NOT digging "Barney" girl. I thought she sounded nasally, and really, what was with her both USING the Barney thing but then also feeling she had to separate herself from it?

M said...

Thank you for validating my opinion - I thought Barney girl was not good at all. Her voice is thin - that's a good way to describe it. I think she got through because of her background and story - not because of talent.

I liked Lloyd Thomas (dock worker) quite a bit. He's the kind of person that you can't help but like. I think his personality will really attract fans and I can see him sticking around the competition for awhile.