Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Hotlanta

First off, I am glad tonight's show was only an hour and a half. I was already to throw the remote through at the TV after the first hour of craziness tonight. I am not sure if it's the sound on my TV, but I thought the judges (especially MJB) were being way too complimentary to most of the talent.

Standouts tonight were Keia Johnson and Jermaine Sellers. When Keia announced she would sing "the Titanic song" I rolled my eyes and braced for impact. To my surprise, she made the song her own and was not annoying. If she can find a dumpster between Atlanta and Hollywood to stow the neon yellow stretch pants and hot pink sneaks we may be in business.

Jermaine Sellers, who takes care of his mom with spina bifida, had a velvety, smooth, creamy voice--almost as if he were the personification of a chocolate fountain. I love voices like that.

On the next tier down in the they-will-probably-make-it-through-Hollywood-week group was Holly Harden (guitar girl), Bryan Walker (singing cop), and Mallorie Haley. Although, I think MJB saying Mallorie being the best vocalist so far was a bit of a hyperbole. Someone I would like to include in this group is Vanessa Wolfe (country girl) but I don't know how she will fare under pressure and performing non-country songs. I would like to see her succeed, but for now she is a question mark to me. She so reminds me of the trailer park girls I was friends with in elementary school (that is a whole other story for another day) and so for that reason I would like her (and them) to succeed at ANYTHING.

People I could have done without tonight are Dewone Robinson ("It's Over..."), Skiibo ski, Carmen & Lauren, Lamar Royal, and Christy Marie Agranow. With Lamar I, like MJB, thought there might be a moment when guns came to play. He had a rage in him that was altogether unhealthy. And, Christy Marie with her TV show 4-1-1...the show (imagine hand movements) I wanted to burst her bubble as soon as she opened her mouth. There was a moment when I felt bad for her after she confessed her undying love and passion for singing and then realized she was being told that it was never going to happen for her. But in my experience, people with her type of personality will rebound very quickly and be on to the next thing they can be praised for.

I also could have done without the Pants on the Ground General Larry Platt. I didn't see what the point of that was and would have much rather seen other crazies having meltdowns.

What did you all think of tonight's episode?

3 comments:

e said...

It's so funny that you didn't like the "Pants on the ground" guy -- I just wrote half an hour ago that I liked him -- obviously not to actually make it onto the top 10 or anything, but just for something fun to watch during try-outs. ha ha, too funny.

I LOVED the trailer park girl.
She was, um, hickish but SO REAL, and I'm like you, I like to see people like that make it at something ... anything!

Is AI on tomorrow night too?
I have no idea what the schedule is for the upcoming weeks.

M said...

I LOVED Jermaine's voice. His voice was so velvety - wow. I totally agree with you about the chocolate fountain thing. He's doing to do really well in the competition.

I also wonder about Vanessa Wolfe. I worry about her - I think she's going to get eaten alive in Hollywood. It will be interesting to see how she does. I hope she gets to confidence and really does well, though. It would be so nice to see her succeed.

Julie said...

I love your Idol recaps :) I've missed my all to honest Shauna!