Tuesday, January 26, 2010

City of Angels

In case anyone was wondering where I was last week, I wanted to post my reviews, but got caught up in other things and wasn't able to get to it. Hopefully that won't happen again.

Boo hiss for superstar/clothing designer extraordinaire Avril Lavigne guest judging tonight's episode. Is that really the best they could do?

Tonight's show got off to a disturbingly odd start with the 6 foot man/woman with "the Rachel" season 2 haircut and a blue rayon shirt topped by a silk screened, bedazzled vest. What could go wrong with this combo? When he proudly announced he would be singing Meatloaf I thought, of course he is...he is a wacko. Wow, Neil Goldstein, you really can't sing and you are not very convincing. His whole "I'm not going" speech was like watching him practice for a debate team meet in the mirror and to not be entirely sure what side he's on.

I was slightly bothered by AvLav's hesitancy to put Pastor Jim Rogers through because he has a wife and three kids. If he can sing and he signed up for this show, then let him work out the details of his own life. He is an adult and can make decisions for himself. I mostly just didn't like how Avril kept looking at him like he was a martian because he is a pastor.

Damien Lefour (the sandwich maker) was awful, but at least exited stage right quickly enough. Whenever I hear someone say they are really into martial arts (and in Damien's case, also a pacifist), I roll my eyes because I know right away they are not going through.

Rocker chic (didn't write down her name in time) was ok to me. I wasn't as impressed as the judges were and I agreed with Simon that her whole look was cliched. I don't think she will make it far.

Adam Lambert's look-alike (I am being nice) AJ Mendoza was a strange audition to watch. I think there is talent in there somewhere but he needs to be coached on presentation technique and should practice in front of a mirror to see what he really looks like while singing. I HATE singing in front of a mirror, but it is the only way for me to see if I am making an odd face or standing in a weird way. I was surprised that he judges did not try to coach him more. They seem to be trying harder to coach people this season, but they gave him the boot pretty fast.

SO glad that Katy Perry is stepping in as a guest judge instead of Avril. For some reason I can take her more seriously...oh wait I know what it is, she isn't wearing a devil horned hoodie.

Austin Fullmer--wow. I almost don't know what to say. I loved in his intro how he said no one else in the history of AI had ever had his brand of sexuality and wasn't afraid to be touched. Wait...have you not seen/heard Adam Lambert news. Touching is his problem. Austin is completely delusional and thought that Kara and Katy were supportive of his crazy Iggy Pop/David Bowie performance.

Andrew Garcia was a refreshing change to hear. Someone who can actually sing, isn't crazy, has some humility and has a cute family backstory. Minus the kid with the rat tail and neck tat he was perfect.

Tasha Layton the Pastor/Personal Assistant has a good voice and a laid back style. I will be interested to see how she will do and how long she will last in the competition.

Sometimes I wonder if flamingly gay "performers" like Jason Greene practice a whole schtick of what they are going to say and do to make sure their audition makes it on TV. His whole song and dance was strange to say the least and felt very rehearsed.

Chris Golightly has a touching story and an ok voice, but I am not sure he is as phenomenal as Kara seems to think. We'll see...

I was exceedingly underwhelmed by last week's auditions. Ahem, Chicago (13 tickets/12,000 auditionees) L.A. seemed okay, but for some reason I am still feeling like there are not that many people going through to Hollywood week. Or my other fear is that when I watch Hollywood week there are going to be tons of people there that I never heard sing.

What do you all think?

3 comments:

e said...

Shauna,
Thanks for your nice comment on my blog. It was really appreciated (and yes, East-coast drivers are very capable!).

So, I was HOPING you'd say something about Avril. What the heck was her problem!?! How she didn't take off her hoodie once?? What was that all about? All I could think was that she looked like a total idiot. And, I was very bothered by her attitude with the pastor, too. I feel the same way: who was she to question if he could do it because he was married/kids/etc.? I thought she was an incredible brat.

I'm kind of surprised that you didn't have anything negative to say about Katy Perry. I thought she had a LOT of attitude. For example: the guy (his name escapes me) that grew up in foster homes. I thought she was a major brat to him.

How much longer until Hollywood? Anyone know?

M said...

I had issues with the two guys who were so obsessed with having their identity tied to their sexuality (the guy with the long hair and the guy with the striped shirt). Sorry, but there's more to life than just sex. Anyone who founds their whole personality on sexuality and being "sexy" has got major problems.

I also really liked Andrew Garcia. Jeremy said that of all the contestants, Garcia is the person that Jeremy really wants to hear sing again. I tend to agree. So far, Garcia has stood out to me (and the guy with the velvety "chocolate fountain" voice from a few auditions ago).

Shauna said...

e: I actually thought Katy Perry was a pretty good guest judge and I liked that she seemed as irritated with Kara as I would be. I have hated the "girl power" montages that have taken place in the past with Kara.

M: I totally agree with you on your irritation with contestants only identifying themselves by their sexuality. It drives me crazy.