Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Top 12 Guys

After being thoroughly underwhelmed by the ladies last night, I am really hoping that the guys learned from their mistakes and are ready to make tonight better. Simon's comments are not making me that optimistic, but here's hoping...

Todrick Hall - Does anyone else think he looks like Lil Bow Wow? Speaking of wow, what an interesting way to start off the night. I really admire his creativity and bravery to change a well known song, but I agree with the judges it was unrecognizable. Through it all, you can tell he has a good voice and definitely has the stage presence. I think he has the talent to stay around. Grade: B

Aaron Kelly - Holy shifting hands, Batman! For the first minute of the song, all I could focus on was him switching the mic between his hands. He seems very awkward and uncomfortable on stage. The vocals weren't that bad, but he needs to RELAX. I also like that Ryan felt the need to point out that Aaron is shorter than he is. Obviously that doesn't happen a lot. All things considered (age, experience, pressure) I think he did well. Grade: B+

Jermaine Sellers - Over the top rendition of Season 1's Justin Guarini's signature song. I completely agree with Ellen's critique that he had no connection to the lyric and was simply trying to show off. He does has an excellent voice, but he needs to find a good blend of vocal gymnastics and storytelling. Also, maybe I am just getting old, but I don't think his outfit was as "hot" as Randy did. Skinny slacks tucked into ankle boots, a black henley and grey tuxedo tails jacket do not spell fashion to me. Grade: B-

Tim Urban - Oy, I hate this song (Apologize)! Simon speaks the truth! He did not do well enough to be included in the phase of the competition. The falsetto was strange sounding and he was staring like a deer in the headlights at the camera. If they initially told him no and then invited him back, I don't know why they didn't bring back Thaddeus. He was far more talented in my opinion and the judges told him he couldn't have done anything more. Usually they only tell girls that they are pretty enough to get through. It must feel weird to be told they are not talented, but they are good looking. I get the exact opposite critique when I audition. Given the choice, I guess I rather it be that way. Anyway, I think he should go home based on that performance. Grade: D

Joe Munoz - Either I am going deaf, or my TV has a garble setting...I barely understood a word! His tone is nice and he looks like a hispanic David Archuleta. He seems very comfortable up on stage, but I agree with Simon that he needs to step it up if he stays around. Grade: B-

Tyler Grady - He has definitely carved out a niche for himself but I am nervous that he is becoming a one trick pony. Randy's comment of style over substance is completely right. I am curious based on the judges nearly unanimous conclusion that he is trapped in the 70s why they kept him in this stage of the competition. He seems like a pretend rock star and I wasn't impressed with his vocals. Grade D+

Lee Dewyze - I didn't think the song was as rough as Randy and Kara did. It wasn't fantastic, but it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be when Ryan first announced it. I am not the biggest fan of that song, but I thought he did a good job with it and tried to make it his own. If he had sung it like the original they would have told him it was boring and he didn't put enough of his own spin on it. He kind reminds me of a mixture of David Cook and Elliot Yamin. It will be interesting to see how he evolves on this show. Grade: B-

John Park - Ok, he won me over with his intro video. If you know my husband, you know I love a guy that loves older women. I was imagining my sister wincing through that performance. She hates it when non-jazz people sing jazz standards. While he was singing I did think it sounded loungey and I chuckled when Simon used that word to describe it. He may be in jeopardy with that performance. Grade: C-

Michael Lynche - I have been looking forward to hearing "Big Mike". I loved him during Hollywood week and I just wish he could hug me/pick me up. Even though I HATE that song, he did it well. It wasn't fabulous, but it was ok. He deserves to be in the competition but I would love to see him do something different. Grade: B

Alex Lambert - So I didn't hear the very beginning of his performance because I was washing my face, and then I heard a noise that may be interpreted as music so I shut off the faucet and came in to watch. AWFUL. I would never pay to hear him sing. I didn't hear the "thick, rich, tone" that the judges were talking about. It sounded whiny and uncomfortable to me. I also don't like his look at this site. Grade: D

Casey James - Perfect song choice for him. He has a very easy and honest style and I like him in the competition. I just wish my least favorite judge would move on from her initial attraction and treat him like a human being. The revelation that she is married is shocking to me. I would never act like that towards a young single guy if I were married. She is very bizarre...and creepy. You could tell his dad was not liking all the "sexy" talk. Can you blame him. In any case, Casey did very well, especially considering most of the attention was on Kara and not him. Grade: B+

Andrew Garcia - I have been eagerly awaiting his performance as well but I was left scratching my head with the arrangement of his song. He has a great voice and I think the judges are right that he bought himself some time with his rendition of Straight Up. I think he'll be fine until next week. Grade: B

What a weird blend of flavors tonight. I feel like I just left a ward potluck dinner. If I were to guess who is going home tonight it would be Tim Urban and then either Tyler Grady or Alex Lambert.

What did you all think?

5 comments:

Julie said...

Shauna - loved the critique. BUT I was totally waiting for you to address Randy's what had to be drawn on chin line facial hair. Honestly?! It was shiny! It looked like permanent marker and I really think it was! Did you not see it! So distracting!

Jon and Molly Knight said...

Oh man, I was so nervous for the guys last night. I don't like Jermaine much, ever since he 'threw the band under the bus'. So far I like Lee Dewyze the best, but I hope Michael Lynche goes far (so likeable!), and I also appreciated Joe Munoz's sparkling eyes. I wasn't really paying attention to his voice...
BUT I missed the last two performances (plus the girls!) so I need to catch up and choose some more favorites!

Hannah said...

Unfortunately I didn't see either night of AI this week, but thanks to your recaps I feel like I'm in the loop! Sounds like I didn't miss too much... hopefully they will do better next week.

Thanks for the review! :)

M said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
M said...

I haven't had a chance to comment on here this week, but I wanted to say that I really liked your critiques. Like always, you were spot-on.

I was pretty shocked that Tim Urban will be staying another week - Joe Munoz did a much better job than him. Tim was pretty shocked at that outcome too - did you see his face?

Other than that, I wasn't too surprised at the results from last night. I figured that one of the blondes would go - Didi and Janelle look a little similar with their long blonde hair, and I had a hard time telling them apart at first (Didi's afghan outfit changed that, though). Anyhow, I think it was hard for Janelle to stand out, since she and Didi look similar. Plus, Janelle didn't really make a huge impression in terms of vocal technique or original style.