Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Top 10 Guys

Michael Lynche - Big Mike is in it to win it! I loved his performance of This is a Man's World. He took command of the stage and proved that he has excellent control over his voice and a beautiful tone. I was already a fan of this big guy, but he is making me like him even more. C'mon...he does musical theatre and plays football, how can you not like him? He is the black Finn Hudson. It's on.
Grade: A

John Park - Oh...Honey. Why, why, why. Pitchy, boring, painful. When he revealed that he is an a cappella singer I let out a deep sigh. If my friend Danny C is reading this blog, I'm sorry...I still love you., but I am not such a fan of the a cappella group singing. I don't even think he is worth tearing apart in a review because he is just so oatmeal. I do not think he will make it far in the competition. Grade: C

Casey James - Put down the axe and sing for goodness sake. He sounded out of breath and did not finish each phrase. Kara in an effort to not look like such a psycho herself decided to slam him and tell him he took two steps back. While I agree somewhat with her sentiment (I know, I know, mark this day down) I really wish she hadn't tried so hard to be mean to him and given him a better critique. It's like Kara wants to be shrewd like Simon (never gonna happen), she wants to be crazy like Paula (coming close), and funny like Ellen (again never gonna happen). When she give people advice on being true to themselves and being authentic, I think she needs to look in the mirror for that one. Anyway, it wasn't the worst I have ever heard, but certainly not the best. Grade: C+

Alex Lambert - So he can't sing, and he's crazy...great let's begin. Sharing that you made up your own language does not endear you to anyone, except maybe more crazies. I am not sure why the judges were so in love with his performance. It was better than last week's performance, but I don't think it was fan-freakin-tastic. Oh well, after all this fanfare, he will probably be around next week. Grade: C+

Todrick Hall - I am so glad that Randy finally stood up and said that a good song deserves to be sung. I feel like once one of the contestants see another contestant have success re-doing an older song they think that HAVE TO jump on that bandwagon. Not everyone has that skill and THAT'S OK. This is a singing competition, not an assignments for s composition class. To me it is kind of like back in the early nineties (I know I am aging myself) when Kris Kross starting wearing their clothes backwards. Everyone thought it was so cool and so pretty soon it trickled down to kids my age. I am hear to say it really doesn't look cool when scrawny white kids are wearing oversized hip hop clothes backwards to middle school. Just because someone else does it and it's cool doesn't mean it will be cool FOR YOU. There rant over. Grade: B-

Jermaine Sellers - I'm left wondering the same thing...What's Going On? I just don't like Jermaine's whole vibe. I think he is overly cocky for the performances he is turning out and feels like he will never be voted off. I just don't know why he thinks that's ok. I completely agree with Simon that when he does all the extra vocal gymnastics it makes the song lose all meaning. He wants himself to shine more than the song. On a song by Miley Cyrus, that's ok, but with Marvin Gaye, c'mon man...get over yourself. Grade: C-

Andrew Garcia - I'm kinda bumming that he didn't do so well again this week. I really like him and think he has a lot of talent to show, but I am not sure why he keeps picking things that are not flattering on him. He's kinda like the girlfriend you have with the perfect body but she wears the ugliest most unflattering clothes. You love her because you know she has the potential to look really, really good, but at the same time you resent her because you wish you could look that good in clothes and you feel like she is letting it go to waste. In any case, I hope he picks a better "outfit" next week. Grade: C-

Aaron Kelly - I thought he was brave to tackle another Temptations song (My Girl) after forgetting the words to Ain't Too Proud to Beg in Hollywood week. I don't think he has the control and mastery over his voice that Kara believes he does. His vibrato sounds like Carter does when we drive over a bumpy road (uhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuh) I know he is super nervous and doesn't have the stage presence of some of the other contestants, but that is why I don't think he is really ready to be in this stage of the competition. I don't agree with the judges on this one. Grade: D+

Tim Urban - I was not blown away by his performance but I have to agree with Simon that he at least tried to listen and obey the criticism he received last week. I don't think the song choice was bad for him, but he is still a bit rough around the edges. I think he is a better performer than Aaron and at least picked a young song. I was shocked at Ellen's comments...although I do think Tim would be a good guest star on Glee. He will be free in a couple of weeks to explore that project but I think he will get enough of the young vote (including his 9 siblings) to stay around another week. Grade: C+

Lee Dewyze - Welcome to Nute High School's Junior/Senior Prom (shout out to my friends from Milton). When Lee entered on the darkened stage with the mirror ball reflections on the floor I laughed out loud. I HATE that song (Lips of an Angel) but he did a good job with it. If any of my Kane friends are reading this, Lee is what I always imagined Joe Roboski would look like...dreamy. Grade: B+

So going home tonight....John Park and Aaron Kelly.

What do you all think?

6 comments:

Hannah said...

well, I was able to watch some of it tonight... until Garrett got home and insisted that we watch "Lost" instead. Anyway, thanks for the updates and I can't wait to watch (the WHOLE thing) tomorrow when the girls sing!

e said...

Oh my goodness. I could not agree with you more about Alex Lambert. And, I know everyone is thinking it, so what the heck is up with the MULET!? I don't even know where to start about the "secret language". That is SO BIZARRE. The really disturbing thing is you know how the country probably loves him.

I am not digging Todrick or John Park.

I really like Lee. I also hate that song, but it was a good choice for him.

I'm thinking John Park and maybe Jermaine Sellers go home.

thepedersens said...

HA! Maybe that is why I seem to be getting a little star crush on Lee. Joe didn't go to Alternative High School, though. You will probably disown me as a friend for saying this, but I actually like Alex's voice. I only heard his performance tonight, but I think his voice has a cool sound to it. Anthony laughed pretty hard though when I told him about the website you linked in reference to his look.

M said...

So, I actually liked Alex Lambert's tone quite a bit. His voice is quite interesting and has got some very distinct tones, and I've never noticed that before last night because of his nerves. If he can continually gain more confidence (and perhaps get a haircut), I can see him in this competition for awhile.

My votes to go? Tim Urban and John Park.

Jon and Molly Knight said...

I love Lee! And I won't lie, I like Alex, too. His mullet, and all! But Lee's my number one so far. I've been agreeing with Simon for most of this season so far. I'm becoming more and more cold-hearted!

Cheap Women's Smart Touchscreen Compatible Glove said...

i very agree with you about alex