Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Top 8 Girls

Katie Stevenson - I feel so bad for this girl. She has such a unique and RICH tone to her voice. She, in many ways, sounds like an older artist. But the judges want her to be "young" and so they have asked her each week to sing "young" songs, but she keeps falling behind the mark in their eyes because they want her to sound young singing a young song. I feel like they gave her credit for taking their notes, but in my opinion, the notes were wrong. If she is more of a "vintage" feel singer, let her show what she is good at doing, instead of forcing her to be something she's not. In an effort to make her current they have made her irrelevant. I am not gonna lie, her performance tonight (Breakaway) was not great, but I think it is a hard song to sing, especially if you don't feel comfortable singing in that style. I just feel bad for her that she keeps listening to the judges even though it isn't the direction she wants to go. Randy made a comment tonight to Siobhan that he is glad that she doesn't listen to them and does her own thing because it works. Hopefully Katie will give that a try next week. Grade: C+

Siobhan Magnus - She is such a weirdo, but I love her. When she announced she would be singing that song at first I thought it would be a strange choice for her, but then I was like, "Oh wait, it's Siobhan, it will be fine." It was a gutsy move to sing a cappella to start the song and I love her belt notes...that is exactly how they should sound. Grade: A-

Lacey Brown - This was definitely her best performance. I felt myself drifting back to memories of watching Joey climbing in and out of Dawson's bedroom window to songs like that. She sounded like an artist who could have been featured on the WB during the golden years. I totally loved it and it made me feel like an angsty teen again. She felt very connected with this song and seemed to genuinely be competing tonight. I really think she has a chance. Grade: A

Katelyn Epperly - Speaking of bringing back memories, Katelyn's outfit tonight reminded me of something I would have envied circa 1993. She sang the song well, but the song is not something you can really do a lot with. I don't know...it was just kinda ok. She has a good voice, but I don't know why they don't ream her for "not knowing what kind of artist she is" like they do to Katie. Meh, I could take or leave this performance. Grade: C

Didi Benami - For those who read this blog, it is documented that I am not a Didi fan. While I am still not on Team Didi, tonight's performance was at least decent. She seemed connected to the song and gave a much better performance than last week. I disagree with the judges that there was a "wow" moment, but she did well for her. I still don't know why people on this show like to slow the pace down to practically speaking, but I expect that to continue. Grade: B

Paige Myles - Ouch! What a weird arrangement of that song (Smile). I agree with Randy that the bossanova beat that randomly came in was bizarre. She has such a powerful voice but she did no service to it by singing in a soft breathy voice. The judges were painfully honest with her telling her that it was the wrong choice. I really don't think that was good enough to get her through to the next round. Grade: D-

Crystal Bowersox - Now this is what Katelyn should have done with her song. Take a song everyone knows, add to it, make it your own (not in a way that is unrecognizable) and steal the show. Crystal is not my favorite, but she is growing on me and has legitimate talent and swagger. I really just want to cut off her "braids" and scrub her hair, put a skosh more makeup and a little more color in her wardrobe. Oh, for goodness sake, just call in Stacy and Clinton already! Grade: A

Lilly Scott - I was NOT crazy about Lilly's performance tonight. I feel like she makes each song sound cutesy and quirky but I don't know that she shows much range week to week. The performance wasn't awful, but I am not sold on her. Also, she needs to find earrings that don't look like she is wearing crocheted coasters. Distracting!! Grade: B-

Is everyone else as glad as I am that tonight's show was only an hour instead of two? Far less painful!!

Going home tonight - definitely Paige, and then either Katie or Katelyn.

What did you all think?

4 comments:

Kristina said...

Love, love, love Siobhan - my fav. Didi - I was so not as impressed as the judges. Totally think that poor Paige is going home, and Lilly's earrings... OMG I thought for a sec that they could be big ol' buds of weed she was sportin'. P.s. Katie- I feel for her with the outfits and the song choices. Girls got a great voice but she ain't makin it much further. :( Katelyn will fall to the wayside soon and I am in total agreement with you when it comes to Crystal. Yeah, she knows who she is as an artist but who she is kinda iritates me. <3

e said...

I think this is the best review you have ever written. I laughed out loud MANY times. Bravo for the WB and Dawson's Creek references. Bravo.

I also agree that I much prefer this one hour show thing. Two hours was sucking the life out me (especially since this season seems so lackluster).

I liked Crystal and Lacey tonight.

My guesses for those going home are probably going to be: Paige and Katelyn or Katie (even though I LOVE Katie -- poor girl, she's so picked on).

Hannah said...

I really liked Didi tonight. I also thought Crystal did a good job. I missed Siobhan's performance, though. Great review, thanks!

M said...

I really liked Lacey tonight. I thought she did really well and showcased her interesting tone/timbre. I hope she stays for awhile - I like her quite a bit.

And you're totally right - Paige was awful. Holy cow. That was one of the worst performances I have ever seen on American Idol. Katelyn wasn't good either. I think that they are going to go.