Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Paint it Black

Michael Lynche - For a man of his size, he can MOVE! I really liked his interpretation of the song (Miss You) because it didn't sound copycat to me. I just love watching him perform. Each week during his songs I can't help but smile. His intro clip gave a good overview of who he is and what type of person/artist he wants to be. I feel like he is very genuine and true to himself each week. If you'd like my early prediction, he will at least make it to the final three. Grade: A

Didi Benami - I am on the fence with this performance. I think she definitely hit some money notes and sounded much more even toned than she has in the past. She relied less on the gimicky "cool, new" sound that she used in the past. However she did forget the words in some parts which I think is a little weird at this stage in the game. Her hair was driving me crazy!!! The deconstructed civil war hair needs to never be repeated again. That being said, she annoyed me far less this week. Grade: B+

Casey James - Wow, the third performance that I have actually liked and feel like the contestant deserves to be in this stage of the game. In the past I have liked Casey but haven't been that crazy about him. Tonight's performance seemed more authentic and it seemed like he was really having fun. He seems like someone who is very grounded and humble which makes him infinitely more likable. I really love when we get to know the contestants better. I think it helps to get an idea of what they would be like if they got famous. Nicely done, Casey. Grade: A-

Lacey Brown - I have to confess I am mildly obsessed with Lacey's hair. When she is performing I keep imagining what I would look like with that hair cut. I thought the vocals we decent, I really liked the string quartet because it was unexpected and I thought it was an ok performance overall. I have to agree with Simon that she needs to step it up to keep in the competition, but I feel she did well for herself. I finally put my finger on who she reminds me of (vocally)...I think she sounds a bit like Chantal Kreviazuk. Grade: C+

Andrew Garcia - He seems to have gone through a makeover for his big debut on the big stage. I was glad that he chose just to sing the song instead of interpreting it in some strange way with a guitar and loads of irony. He looks a bit like Lou Diamond Phillips to me tonight which made me chuckle. I also laughed during his intro when his mother dutifully sat next to her weeping husband with her hands crossed and eyes down and didn't say one word. It just reminded me of the couple interviews in When Harry Met Sally or Waiting for Guffman. Even more funny when it's real. I didn't think it was as pitchy as Randy said it was. For me it was a decent performance and I think he'll be around another week. Grade: C+

Katie Stevens - Finally the judges agree that they have been giving her crazy advice and also giving her props for a job well done tonight. When I first heard it was Rolling Stones night, I thought, "I wonder who will sing Wild Horses?" I am so glad Katie picked that song because it really suited her voice and I think she made some great changes to the melody which could get repetitive if sung like the original. I think the stylists tried to make her look "young" by styling her like Selena Gomez/Demi Lovato (I can't tell them apart) but you get the idea. I am so happy to see her succeed. I was very surprised that she made it through last week especially when it came down to her and Lilly but I am glad she took the opportunity and ran with it. Grade: A-

Tim Urban - Wow...way to blow your opportunity on the big stage. I get that he was trying to do something different, but it just seemed like an odd way to take that song (She's Under My Thumb). I didn't think the vocals were that great and I agree with Ellen it is something I would imagine hearing at a resort and thinking, "huh, that's cool" but not really anything else. I think even Tim knows he is in over his head in this competition. We'll see how America feels...Grade: D

Siobhan Magnus - I LOVE this beautiful weirdo. She is a mashup of Ally Sheedy, Winona Ryder and Zooey Deschanel (there I got one from each decade) I can't even contain my excitement when I hear her sing. Those notes were crazy!!! I mostly love the fact that she picks something insanely hard and then just goes for it...all out...no looking back. I knew this song (Paint it Black) would be another one that was sure to appear tonight and I am SO glad Siobhan picked it. Grade:A

Lee Dewyze - Siobhan is a hard act to follow but I think he did an alright job with the song (Beast of Burden). He has such an interesting voice and I think he deserves to be here but I agree with the judges that he needs to wow the judges (and America) at this phase of the competition. I think he'll be around another week at least. Grade: C+

Paige Myles - Maybe I am still reeling from last week's bomb but I just didn't think this week's performance was that great. It wasn't awful, but it wasn't amazing either. I don't know, I am not sold on her yet. Grade: C-

Aaron Kelly - So I know it is getting late out here, but this performance made me sleepy. I can appreciate that he was doing the best he could with the constraints of the theme, but I wasn't as impressed at the judges were. The vocal was good but I think he has stiff competition and I don't know if he'll be able to keep up down the road. For tonight he did ok. Grade: B-

Crystal Bowersox - It seems like a forgone conclusion that Crystal will do well on Rolling Stones night. She did well and I agree with the judges that she is very comfortable performing and she does it well. She is growing on me. Grade: A-

Overall, I thought it was a good night for most of the contestants. It kind of felt like listening to a themed soundtrack like I Am Sam where new artists perform older well-known songs in new ways. I really think Tim is going home.

What do you all think?

3 comments:

e said...

I don't know how I feel about this week (which means I probably do).

I really liked Lee's performance. I just like how he's apparently pretty humble and easy going, but has a really interesting voice. I'd probably give him a higher grade.

I like Siobhan a lot, too ... but, I actually felt like she was completely off key most of the time for her performance. I really like that she does high notes, but I didn't feel she actually made it sound good this week.

I'm not sure who I think is going home. I can see Tim, but I can also see Andrew. I think he's okay, but nothing great. I don't know, this season just isn't all that good (at least for me), blah!

M said...

Tim and Paige really need to go. Especially Tim. He is an embarrassment to American Idol, and he should not have gotten this far in the competition.

I liked some parts of Siobhan's performance, but I felt like the beginning of the song wasn't too awesome. I think the sound of lower range gets kind of murky, like she's resonating from way back by her uvula. That being said, though, I think she has a great sound when she starts singing in the "sweeter" part of her range.

I really have been liking Lacey and Didi lately. I also think that Lacey needs to step it up and compete more aggressively, but I don't think she'll go home this week. She's great. And I love her hair, too! If only I could pull off hair like that.

M said...
This comment has been removed by the author.