Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Am I the new Rachael Ray?

So, one of my guilty pleasures besides watching reality TV... black cinema... and Patrick Dempsey is watching the Food Network. I especially like Paula Deen, Bobby Flay and Rachael Ray. As annoying and rambling as she can be, I enjoy the fact that she encourages you to be creative and take liberties with your favorite recipes. She also combines dishes to incorporate her favorite elements of each one. Lately, I have begun to take some risks with recipe creation. Some have been misses and I probably won't repeat. But last night I created a delicious combination that blends Mike's Norwegian heritage and my French heritage. So without further delay, I share with you Krumkake Krêpes. (I know that crêpes is spelled with a C, but it looks better spelled with a K in this instance...ok I am queer) Anyway, what I love about it is that it has the taste of the Krumkake that I really like, but the flexible consistency of a crêpe. Mike loved these so much that he asked me to make them again tonight and invited Emma and John over to try them. They weren't able to come, but that just meant more for us to enjoy! We just eat them with a little butter and powdered sugar and roll them up. I thought this weekend we would try them filled with scrambled eggs and crumbled bacon with a little maple syrup drizzled on top. Mmmmmm.... Well for those who care, here is the recipe. I hope you like.

2 c. flour
4 eggs
2 c. milk
4 T. melted unsalted butter
1/4 t. salt
1 1/2 t. cardamon
2 t. vanilla
1/4 c. sugar

Mix all ingredients with a whisk.

Spray a non-stick frying pan with cooking spray and heat on medium heat.

Pour just under 1/2 c. of batter into the pan and immediately start turning it in circles to coat the bottom of the pan.

Cook for a few minutes. You will see small bubbles form and the top of the crêpe will start to look dull.

Flip with a rubber spatula and cook for a few more minutes on the other side.

Here's my best attempt at a Rachael Ray pic...

3 comments:

Zillah said...

mmmmm.....

Mike and Ariane said...

Wow, you really do a good Rachael Ray! I'll have to try the krepes! I do miss your chicken pot pie and that other chicken dish (parmigiano)!

Anonymous said...

Hey Shauna! Found you the long way around via Katie. Scott is obsessed with Giada and I call her cooking with cleavage. Come see at my blog, I have a whole recipe section. : )

http://yeagleyspawn.blogspot.com/

I posted a ton of pics of the new AZ babies.