Thursday, March 27, 2008

Dominique Moceanu I am not

It is not breaking news to anyone that I am not athletic. That being said, I still thought I had some basic tumbling abilities since I was a relatively active kid. My friend Katie used to humor me when we were kids by listening to my dreams of athletic prowess. I always wanted to be a figure skater or a gymnast. We used to go to her sister Kelley's meets and watch her excel at this sport. Looking back on it now, it is so comical to imagine my tubby, uncoordinated self watching Kelley and thinking I could do that someday. Luckily I was raised by parents who didn't pull any punches and told me that was something I would never be good at. I guess I didn't realize that at 27 I still didn't believe them.

When Molly, Shelbs and Elza came over tonight and explained to me that Molly and Shelbs couldn't do a somersault I laughed at them. "Even I can do a somersault!" I said confidently. I truly, passionately believed that I could do a somersault. I mean, can't everyone? When asked to demonstrate my abilities I was weighed in the balance and found wanting. It felt so weird to even attempt it. My first couple of tries were weak at best and Mike voiced his disappointment with me. So I made him do one which he did pretty easily. Well then I was determined to be able to do it. Anything he can do, I can do better, right? After two more REALLY embarrassing attempts I finally was able to do a somersault! With my new found skill I quickly turned to my more comfortable role as a Bela Karolyi-like mentor and began "spotting" Molly and Shelby. They now believed if I could do it, anyone could. Molly captured these delightful memories on video, but thankfully has not posted them. Looking in to my crystal ball I don't see Olympic gold in my future, but I should be able to teach Carter how to somersault when he is old enough. He's already rolling so that's a start.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so proud of you. Now I want to try one just to see if I can still do it. I was pretty nimble in my youth, but not so much now.

Emma and John said...

haha- molly's video was so funny! I think she should post your video too. I never thought somersaulting was hard, but I guess I haven't tried it in a while either!