Wednesday, March 26, 2008

American Idol...A Perfect 10?

So as I mentioned in my AI post two weeks ago I am sick and tired of the judges telling me that this year is the best top ten ever. From what I saw tonight, I have to disagree. Tonight's theme was "Songs from the year you were born". Each year this episode brings out a wild card element, but I think it still gives them a ton of freedom in making song selections. Here are my thoughts from tonight's episode:

#1: Ramiele Malubay - First of all she is certainly not #1 in my book, at least not for singing. Her "performance" of Heart's "Alone" was flat, shrieky and painful to watch. Also, her eighties "tribute" outfit left much to be desired. Of all the eighties trends to rock, high-wasted baggy trousers and an off-the-shoulder diagonal stripe shirt is the best you could do? It looked like an outfit from a Newport cigarette ad circa 1989.

#2: Jason Castro - His song choice of Sting's "Fragile" was a good choice for his style. I don't know why the judges don't quite get who he is yet. He reminds me of a Jack Johnson mixed with Lenny Kravitz. Let him do his thing. Although I don't think this was his best week, it was loads better than "Michelle" last week. He is who he is and I like that he does his own understated thing. I don't think he'll win it, but if all else fails he can move to Durham, NH and play at the MUB.

#3: Syesha Mercado - Shelby has never liked her and although she doesn't annoy me as much as she does Shelby, she is not my favorite. In her videos she seems like someone who knows exactly how "cute" she is and tries to play up all of her "endearing" qualities. I know she is in her mid-twenties, but everytime I see her I picture her as a little kid in a Welch's grape juice commercial. My Memere always hated Welch's kids, and I am afraid I now do as well. Her performance of "If I Was Your Woman" definitely wasn't bad and I think she deserves to be in another week. Sorry Shelbs!

#4: Chikezie - Finding out this week that his parents are from Nigeria actually made me less annoyed that his name is Chikezie Eze. Being in Utah for 2 years now I am just used to made up names (ie. Kenessa) and I assumed this was one of them. While Chikezie's performance was old-fashioned, it wasn't painful, and for that alone he deserves another shot. He is another one that falls into the "Welch's" category for me, so I don't know that I will ever love him, but I could like him for another week.

#5: Michael Johns - Finally someone that doesn't make me feel old! He was born in 1979, so he is a solid 3 years older than I am. I thought it was pretty gutsy for him to think he could pull off Queen. Freddy Mercury is usually regarded as one of the top rock tenors of all time, so if it were me I wouldn't want to give people a chance to compare the performances. He was pitchy and doesn't do well in his higher register, but he is so darn charming, I hope he makes it through for another week.

#6: Carly Smithson - "Total Eclipse of the Heart" -- if I never had to hear that song again it would be too soon. Whenever I hear it I think of sweaty, awkward boys asking me to dance at church dances and it makes me feel embarrassed for both of us all over again. She is a also a hard person to watch sing. She has weird Boris and Natasha eyebrows that make her look angry when she sings.

#7: Brooke White - I laughed out loud when she re-started her song after singing a wrong first note. She handled it well, but I don't know why the judges kept praising her for her "professionalism". She was once again trying to be very dramatic with her delivery of "Every Breath You Take" and I don't like her turning the show into Lilith Fair each week for her performance. All in all it was not the worst performance of the night, so she should stay around. Speak of the devil, that brings us to...

#8: Kristy Lee Cook - Where to start? She is playing her cards right to sing a patriotic song ("God Bless the USA") complete with cymbal flourishes and a brass section that came in at the end. Who can vote off the girl who loves her country? I don't know if the judges went momentarily deaf, but her "money notes" were flat. With all the talk they keep saying about being relevant and modern I am surprised they like her. She is dated, and not in an old school, throw-back kinda way, but in a late 90s, small town, country type of way. Even though this wasn't her worst song, I hope she gets voted off.

#9: David Archuleta - Sweet, sweet, David. Normally David can do no wrong for me, but tonight's performance seemed too Mickey Mouse Club/Kids Incorporated. He still has a great voice and deserves to be in the competition and I am glad he tried to pick a more upbeat song, but at least choose a song other people know. And perform less in the Up With People style.

#10: David Cook - I didn't feel his cover of a cover was as inspired as the judges, but it wasn't terrible. Once again, I think he takes it too seriously. "Billie Jean" is not a serious, thought-provoking song. Quit singing it like it is Shakespeare.

Well that is it. I am not exactly sure if I got the order right, but that doesn't matter as much. For those who can't watch Idol with me, those are my thoughts on tonight's show.

3 comments:

Hannah said...

My picks for bottom three: Ramiele, Chikeze, and Kristy. Syesha is an alternate.

I think Kristy should go home, too.

Mike and Ariane said...

I have to agree with you...I think you got it right with all of them. I'm really not wowed this year.

Mike and Ariane said...

I can't stand the queer show choir routines on the result shows. Awkward for everyone. Talk about feeling like a cruise ship performance. Ugh.