Wednesday, March 12, 2008

The Dirty Dozen


I had been waiting all day to see the top 12 perform on American Idol tonight. I don't watch many TV shows religiously, but I can honestly say I don't think I have missed an episode of American Idol since it came on the air in 2001. I just love the idea of talented undiscovered people being given a chance to perform in front of a huge audience and I love judging each performer from the comfort of my living room. Each season I have my picks of who is good, who I can't stand, who needs a life coach...etc. Each season I listen to the judges proclaiming that the talent is unbelievable and usually I agree with most of their picks. For some reason, this year I am just not hearing it. With the exception of David Archuleta and Jason Castro, I am not hearing anyone that is truly original and/or extraordinarily talented. The judges keep talking about how so and so has a big huge voice, and I can't say I agree. I'm sure my friends at work are sick of hearing me say how underwhelmed I am each day after the Idols perform, but I am still waiting to be blown away. I would also like it if the producers took away the crazy potion in Paula's Coke glass. She has always been a little wacky, but this season she is close to incoherent.
I think part of the reason I didn't enjoy AI as much tonight is that Carter is still sick and I gave most of my attention and energy to him trying to make him feel better. My friends Monica & Jeremy came over to watch the top 12 tonight and I am glad I have converted more fans to the show. Since Hannah moved, I haven't really had people to watch the show with me. It is just more fun to discuss the performances while they are going on. For tomorrow's vote off, I think Kristy Lee Cook will go home. She is by far the weakest performer and tonight's country rendition of Eight Days A Week was terrible. Sweet David Archuleta forgot a few of the words of his song and tonight was definitely not his best, but he is so cute and has done so many other great performances that I think he'll be fine tomorrow night. We will see...

2 comments:

Emma and John said...

I definitely agree- the judges kept saying that this was the best year yet talent-wise, but I don't think so either! I can't believe some of those people are the best 12 singers the country could produce.

M said...

I just saw that they kicked off David Hernandez last night - I'm surprised that Kristi Lee Cook made it through for another week. She'll probably get off next time. At least David Archuleta made it through!

I probably won't see you until next Tuesday night - have a good weekend!