Monday, March 10, 2008

"How's the sicky?"

The day I knew would come has come at last...Carter has his first cold! I was really hoping by a miracle that he wouldn't get sick while I am still working, but alas, he has a stuffy nose and a little cough. I tried to justify it as allergies since I have been afflicted with those this past week since the weather has warmed up. Now that he is coughing I can't deny it any more. At his last check up the doctor told me it was normal for babies to get 6-10 colds a year. I nodded, but I thought, "I am sure that happens to other babies, but not my baby!" If you know me at all, you know that every time I say I am grateful for something good, something bad always happens. Usually I will comment on how clear my skin is or how I haven't had a headache in who knows how long. Inevitably, the next day I am squinting through a headache looking at breakout in the mirror. So I had to know this was coming. I told Shelby after the appointment, "Carter hasn't gotten a cold yet. I am really grateful for that." And here we are.
Even though I know it is normal for babies to get a little cold, I wasn't prepared for how sad it makes me to hear him cough or appear uncomfortable in any way. I am sure he will get better soon. He at least is sleeping and not fussy unless we are trying to clean out his nose. Mike will be home with him tomorrow, so I hope he is good for him.

2 comments:

Mike and Ariane said...

What a cute baby! Even sick!

M said...

Welcome to the blogging world! I'm sorry that Carter has got a cold - maybe he picked it up in church (our building is always too hot or too cold).

I'm excited for AI tonight!